Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Nicole Grace, Kundalini, IDS - Integrated Development Strategies
Posted by: truecolours ()
Date: November 22, 2011 09:29PM

Hello,

I feel my friend has been sucked into a cult that seems to follow Frederick Lenz methods in San Diego and San Francisco areas. Leaders name is Nicole Grace AKA Kundalini . Anyone know anything about this or has been an ex cult member? Trying to get my friend out, and find out more about this.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nicole Grace, Kundalini, IDS - Integrated Development Strategies
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 22, 2011 11:12PM

This is very interesting news. I have been seeing posters for this person in shop windows and advertisements in margins of magazines.

It costs money to print that stuff and the money has to come from some place.

And it does not fall from the sky, either.

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

Santa Fe, NM (PRWEB) February 22, 2011

Nicole Grace, Buddhist monk, mystic and award-winning author is the feature interview published in the January/February issue of Nexus, Colorado's premier healthy-living magazine for over 30 years. The article, available online or in hard copy at newsstands throughout Colorado, is titled,"Glimpsing Enlightenment: An Interview with Nicole Grace." The article begins 2011 with an inspiring account of the Bodhisattva path and of Ms. Grace's journey towards enlightenment. It takes an intimate and practical look at the Bodhisattva Way and how she successfully follows it in today's world. One of only six people interviewed each year by Ravi Dykema, the owner and Publisher of Nexus, Ms. Grace's interview provides a rare glimpse of the spiritual experiences that have drawn so many diverse seekers from around the world to her teachings and to her award-winning books. Ravi expressed immediate interest in interviewing Ms. Grace after reading "Bodhisattva: How To Be Free, Teachings To Guide You Home." He wrote, "I am very impressed. She says in a short poem what many books take pages to say. So her message leaves a deeper impression, like the one scene from a long novel you always remember."

Ms. Grace, a bodhisattva herself (a being dedicated to the enlightenment of others) has been teaching the Bodhisattva Way for over a decade now, reaching thousands around the world. She clarified her inclusive philosophy in a November 2010 interview with Vision Magazine editor Sydney Murray: "I teach a mystical approach to spirituality, which is essentially, how to have a direct experience of enlightenment. I also draw from Hinduism and Christian mysticism."

As part of her national book tour for "Bodhisattva: How To Be Free", Ms. Grace recently visited close to a dozen different locations around the country, receiving standing-room-only turnouts at each event. "Bodhisattva" guides spiritual seekers from all faiths and traditions towards a deeper and more intimate understanding of the peace and preciousness of our lives. Inspired by the beauty of the California coastline and the great vistas of New Mexico, as well as other powerful places in nature, the verses and teachings in the book guide the reader to spiritual "aha" moments.

The book won the USA Book News 2010 Book Award in two categories: Poetry/Inspirational and Spirituality/Inspirational. These prestigious awards publicly recognize the impact that Ms. Grace's book is having on people around the country. Achieving record-breaking sales at each of Ms. Grace's book signings, including events in Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Denver and Sedona, "Bodhisattva" and its profound life-affirming message are obviously what people are looking for during these challenging times. "When Nicole Grace appeared," said Kris Neri, the co-owner of Well Red Coyote Bookstore in Sedona, AZ, "I truly felt I was in the presence of someone holy and exceptional, but she's also a teacher who shares her wisdom with humor and a worldly awareness."

For more information about the book or upcoming events visit: bodhisattvabook.com.

About Nicole Grace:

Nicole Grace is a Buddhist monk, mystic and author. For over a decade, she has taught Buddhism, mysticism and meditation, as well as personal and professional development seminars to thousands of people around the world. She is the author of "Bodhisattva: How To Be Free, Teachings To Guide You Home" (Mani Press 2010) and a USA Book News 2010 Book Award winner in two categories. She is also the author of the award-winning book, "Mastery At Work: 18 Keys For Achieving Success, Fulfillment And Joy In Any Profession" (Mani Press, 2005).

Praise for "Bodhisattva: How To Be Free, Teachings To Guide You Home":

"In Buddhism, a bodhisattva is a seeker who, upon nearing enlightenment, turns back to devote him- or herself to helping others gain enlightenment too...Grace, an ordained monk, is an excellent expositor of Buddhist thinking. [She] lucidly explains a number of the religion's basic tenets and provides an incisive introduction to the uninitiated."
- Kirkus

"The focus on spiritual awakening never falters in this book. Many poems successfully transform personal reflection into a moving message...Those who look to poetry for spiritual understanding will value this book. The last poem, 'Language of Eternity,' takes the reader beyond words to reach that goal." * * * * Four Stars (out of 5)
- ForeWord Clarion

"It is difficult to describe just how much Ms. Grace's poetry spoke to and touched me...memorable words of wisdom that Grace's lyric voice delivers to her readers...the poems are unified in Grace's skilled presentation and conscientious attention to her message, while she balances straightforward emotional honesty with her relish in language and linguistic play."
- Norm Goldman, Book Pleasures

"This book is a breath of freshness. It sings loudly the profound messages of the Buddha in the practice of compassion and tolerance."
- Ashi Kesang Wangmo Wangchuck, Her Royal Highness of Bhutan

"These teachings are jewels of wisdom and, yes, even enlightenment given up in delicate offerings. These words were for me, to be savored over and over again divulging wisdom for our lives. I know that all of my life can be more fully lived through the lens of her words. I savor them. And so will you."
- Sydney L. Murray, Vision Magazine

For more information, contact: info(at)bodhisattvabook(dot)com

Dreaming Bhutan: A Passage Into Grace
A Conversation with Nicole Grace

by Sydney L. Murray

vital force: (n.) the force that animates and perpetuates living beings and organisms

It has never stopped astounding me, the words that Nicole Grace offers in her teachings, which have always resonated so deeply within me. From her new poetic book, “Dreaming Bhutan,” and speaking with her today, I am reminded once again, she is an incredibly important teacher. Her demeanor and, again, her words are a balm to my soul and actually have revived me to once again seek my center, my vital source.

Vision magazine

Vision Magazine:Our theme this month is modern culture. How do you think we can live in our modern world and live a fulfilling life?
Nicole Grace:I am glad you asked. I would say that is one of the fundamental teachings I have wanted to communicate for years: the idea that everyone can have a spiritual life, a fulfilling life, without having to be on some formal pathway of spiritual evolution. You don’t have to have a certain kind of life [or] a certain set of circumstances in order to be fulfilled - circumstances that usually entail living outside of the modern world, such as in a monastery, in a loincloth, on a mountaintop in some place in India living apart from civilization, removing oneself from the stress and distractions of life.
In fact, that is a misunderstanding of where enlightenment is and how to access it. Or of what fulfillment is and how to access that. And once you discover the secret, you can live anywhere. Any kind of life circumstance can be even more fulfilling because of the magic of discovering that perfection and beauty and ecstasy are everywhere.
My teacher was fond of saying, “Wherever you go, there you are.” And I love that because you can be in hell in a monastery and in ecstasy on Wall Street - which some people in the “Occupy” movement are convinced is hell on earth. I found ecstasy there. Not because of Wall Street, but because of me.
You can go into some perfect environment, in nature, with no sign of modern culture, no sign of cars, no sound of human life and you can hear birds chirping and, of course, you can be very much in touch with what we consider spiritual life.
But what I find so fantastic is that you can be in the middle of San Francisco and see the entire teeming city melt into gold light and you can watch all of it dissolve and you can dissolve into it. And there is just as much enlightenment there (in the city) as there is in the Himalayas. So when you see that, and experience the ecstasy and that magic in the midst of the loud city, that is something. To not be in a state of conflict with the honking horns, not some kind of inner escape from them, or hiding inside your mind away from them, but rather, to perceive that the honking horns and the teeming people and the sirens and all of that is part of the landscape of enlightenment, not separate from it. Peace exists when you can be in the midst of chaos and noise and see that enlightenment is still there. I find that magical.
It is such a powerful teaching when you speak to someone who is in the middle of a life circumstance that is challenging, stressful, frustrating, and there is this urge to escape, and they don’t.
You might think, I want to be somewhere else, anywhere else—some other life situation—because this one isn’t working. I totally support change. Blow everything up and do something different tomorrow—that is exciting in itself. We should never feel trapped; you can always change.
But it can also be possible to find a solution without changing anything outwardly. You can recognize that right here, right now, in any circumstance, there is perfection and peace. The understanding that eternal consciousness is as present in horror as it is in joy brings peace–the kind of peace that provides relief in times of pain. Peace is not the same as ecstasy, although there is ecstasy in peace. Peace is just that—a silent communion with the source of everything we call Life. There may be no escape from noise in the midst of the modern world. But that noise arises from enlightenment as much as wind on an empty mountain does. In traffic in LA there is just as much beauty [as] if you were sitting in a quiet cathedral in that cool place with cool air on a hot day.

VM: How can each one of us lead a better life?
NG: When we speak of a better life, “better” means different things to different people, but in this context, most would probably define a better life as more peaceful, more fulfilling, less stressful. Some see the acquisition of material things as leading to more peace and fulfillment. I think the number one thing that can bring peace is getting outside of yourself, because it is focus on the self that causes suffering. Self-interest is the ultimate separation from Truth, and from what provides a sense of peace: my pain, I am feeling this, I am going through this, poor me. So the ultimate shift from that is, what can I do for someone else? How can I serve someone else’s happiness or how can I serve an ideal? If you don’t know how to get there, gratitude is the bridge. So if you have a moment of gratitude, then it’s a very short step to selflessness. You can feel gratitude for something, anything. Even in the darkest moment, there is something to be grateful for, however small. And in that you find a bridge to do something for someone else’s benefit.
If you think every day when you get up that before the day is out you will do one thing that benefits someone else or something beyond yourself, and then do it, when you go to sleep you always have that one thing that you did for someone else. It changes you and it makes you feel fulfilled. You do more and more and all of a sudden, days later, not even weeks, you are happy, you are fulfilled no matter what condition your life is in. It stops mattering because there is always someone worse off.

Vision Magazine

VM:What would be the most common negative affliction, in your opinion, in our modern society here in the United States?
NG:I would say the most negative affliction in a sense—and [for] probably all mankind, but we definitely suffer from it here [in the United States]—is narcissism. Part of it is a sense of entitlement. I have been fortunate to travel in many parts of the world—many Americans haven’t, some by choice rather than financial or other constraints. In Europe, most people take a year off after high school to travel (before college or work). What an education. Americans tend not to travel and just stay here. And what a metaphor that is: our minds can be provincial. But the moment I leave America, even in Europe—I love Europe— they don’t live like we do. We are incredibly spoiled. And it’s wonderful to live here, and I enjoy the amenities here in the United States, but it’s not the way the rest of the 7 billion people on earth live. So it’s very important not to ignore the privilege of having an incarnation where we are so fortunate. And instead of taking privilege to a place of anger and feeling even more self-righteous and even more entitled, rather remind yourself that relatively speaking, “I have perfect circumstances.” Just travel to India and tell me your life circumstances aren’t an absolute fairytale no matter how bad you think they are.

VM: What would you consider positive about our society today?
NG: I would say [a] large number of Americans are living in pain because of the change in the past 10 years in our economy. People are reaching a level of outrage. And in that, attention is being called to people who are suffering. A volume is growing with the Occupy Movement among others where I think in this greater darkness there is potential for change, where light is being shined on the darkness and the direction, the arc [of where] we have been on culturally and economically. Where the most privileged have been getting the most privileges to the detriment of everyone else. We’ve seen this progression, this cycle before, throughout history, before reaching that point where there is a shift. Sometimes it becomes more painful before it gets better. I hope that we are getting to that point where change will be made and perhaps we will all start caring a little bit more about each other.

VM: In your travels around the world, what would you say is the most surprising aspect of other cultures?
NG: I generally read the news every day from several different sources in order to find as much of an unbiased truth as possible. I pay attention to world news because I like to look at the larger patterns and understand what is happening globally, over time, to notice the cycles. And sometimes when I have been able to travel outside the country and see outside of our cultural filter, what is absolutely stunning to me, wherever I have gone, is how much love people from other countries [have shown me] and how much less paranoid they are than we are here [in the United States]. Americans can be led to assume, because of the way the news is [written here], that people of other cultures all have a kind of distaste for us, or are even out to get us.
And yet, in the heart of Egypt, I met people who were so kind and so sweet and who just loved so many things about America. I understand that they or some of their countrymen may disagree with our politics, but with the person-to-person interaction it was different. I encountered this boy in a store in a small town in Egypt and he was just the sweetest kid. It wasn’t about politics; we met person to person. He was asking me about Disneyland and telling me, I love America, and he just wanted to talk to me. He was just an open heart, and love.
It is we Americans; we are the ones that separate ourselves. It’s not the other way around. I found that everywhere you go, people are welcoming and so hospitable and are happy to show their culture. One thing I like to do wherever I travel is learn at least three words: hello; please; and thank you—in every language, in every culture I am visiting. To be respectful and interested, it serves as an offering. You are asking permission to enter their world a little bit. And when you approach it like that, I just found the most extraordinary welcoming.

VM: If there was one moment in this last year creating your new book, “Dreaming Bhutan,” finishing your book, and being on the book tour that truly defined your work, what would it be?
NG: There was a moment I am thinking of that I’ve been privileged to experience more than a few times, and each one is special. I was signing books and a woman came up to the table and she was clutching “Bodhisattva” to her chest as if someone was going to rip it from her hands. And she stood there and was going to express something and she just burst into tears. And we just sat there for a moment together. I am never really in a rush signing books. I love having individual moments with people, and the lines are sort of long because I take a moment with everyone, because that’s how I want to live my life. And so for a moment we were just quiet, and I waited until she collected herself. And she finally got out that she had gone through something challenging and that she had gone into the book [“Bodhisattva”] for guidance. The copy she was holding was very worn from all of the use. She had read it to pieces. She was just trying to choke out through the tears how much it had helped her, and what I felt at that moment was a sense of overwhelming gratitude that I have been allowed to flow through me that which has helped this other being. And having that one moment, I felt like I didn’t need to live another day. It was just beautiful and precious and it’s all I could ever hope for in life.

VM: What is the origin of the prayer flags?
NG: I don’t know the history, but I can tell you the philosophy is really beautiful. Some flags have prayers woven right into the cloth—others have prayers printed on the flags. And as the wind blows through the cloth, the prayers on it are lifted into the wind. There is this piece of fabric that the wind blows through, and the vibration of the energy of the prayer is carried on the wind, blessing everyone touched by it as though the prayers were being chanted to each person directly. Every time the wind blows, the prayers go out. Energy often changes form, but it doesn’t go away. So you have this powerful energy in the prayer, in the cloth, the wind, traveling out into the world…it’s beautiful.

VM: When you go out into the world with your teachings, have you seen a shift in the world in the last year?
NG: The world shifts all the time. What I’m more interested in is what doesn’t change. So while the world may change—all things arise and pass away, as Buddha said—the Eternal mind, the One Mind, doesn’t come or go, it always is. Enlightenment, eternal consciousness, whatever words you want to use, never goes away. It’s never more or less; it’s never closer to one person than to another—that is an illusion. So no matter how much fun you are having or how awful things seem, peace is available, the Source of all, it’s always there, it never leaves.
There can be very dark times where you cannot perceive truth. Loneliness, confusion, depression can make it hard to see or to remember the Eternal. So that’s a time when, if you can just remind yourself, “This too shall pass,” you can connect with that Force that never leaves. That goes for when you are in happiness, too. Peace is always there. Just try to make that leap that we call faith in the happiest times and the darkest times, because you know when everything is horrible it’s hard to touch, and just as hard to perceive when everything is fabulous and you feel fulfilled by whatever material thing is doing it for you then. There are moments when, no matter how painful or hopeless things seem, if you can just remember that enlightenment is with you equally then as when things seem wonderful, you can tap into an everlasting sense of peace and fulfillment.

For more information on Nicole Grace’s teachings and her new book, Dreaming Bhutan, please visit www.likeswans.com.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COMMENT ON ANY OF OUR ARTICLES, INCLUDING THIS ONE, PLEASE GO TO OUR BLOG BY CLICKING THE LINK HERE.

© 2011 Vision Magazine. All Rights Reserved. Vision Magazine is a ® Registered Trademark of Vision Global, Inc.
1281 University Ave., Ste. G San Diego, CA 92103
Phone: 619.294.2393 • Toll Free: 866.804.8444 • Fax: 619.296.1910 • Email: comments@visionmagazine.com
Home | Contact Privacy Policy

Date: November 22, 2011 11:24PM

Note endorsements given by a Princess of Bhutun. "This book is a breath of freshness. It sings loudly the profound messages of the Buddha in the practice of compassion and tolerance."
- Ashi Kesang Wangmo Wangchuck, Her Royal Highness of Bhutan

[www.google.com]

And note the title of one of the books, Dreaming of Bhutun.

Mani Press announces the release of “Dreaming Bhutan: Journey in the Land of the Thunder Dragon “by award-winning author, teacher and Buddhist monk, Nicole Grace.
accompanied by a guide, friend and aide to the royal family for over thirty years, Grace was allowed unusual access to the monasteries, temples and other private areas within this ancient kingdom, which he describes as “a cross between the mythical land of Shangri-La and Brigadoon. ”
The spare, poetic commentary, dreamlike photographs of her journey, readers will experience rare trip to the Land of Thunder Dragon.
“This book is not to be, this is not a detailed guide or reference book for travel or study. What awakens from a rare, exquisite dream, and finding themselves reliving their charm in vivid flashes, I tried to capture some valuable moments, “Grace explains in the preface to the book.
Her Majesty Ashi Kesang Choeden Wangchuck, Bhutan's Royal Grandmother and beloved mother of fourth King of Bhutan, writes in the preface, “” Dreaming of Bhutan “is a beautiful book, the transfer of large pristine beauty, peace and tranquility of our sacred Buddhist kingdom” .
In her review of “Dreaming of Bhutan” in the 2011 September issue, the publisher of Vision Magazine, Sydney Murray, writes: “The photography is amazing and truly remarkable. Colors, views, descriptions of the sacred rituals offered instructive and inspiring … . Grace words are powerful in their brevity, as well as delicate in their movements. Reading her words almost meditative. There is such power and such grace in them, and they were balm to my soul … I can only say that many people who learned from and inspired by Nicole Grace will not be disappointed. This book is a work of art. ”
A complete overview can be found online here: [www.visionmagazine.com]
“Bhutan Dreaming” won numerous awards, including two 2011 International Book Awards in the category Travel: Pictorial and Travel: Rest, and the best photo / art book prize in 2011 in Paris, Festival of Books.
Join us for a book release party with free drinks – 18:30 on Thursday, 9 / 22 in Crystal Way bookstore, Market Street, San Francisco. Listen to a short interview by the author of the book and get a signed copy of Dreaming Bhutan.

Additional information about Nicole Grace books, science, events and more can be found at [www.likeswans.com] .
Contact for media:
Press Office
Satori Sciences, Inc.
Phone: 800-384-8815
E-mail: info(at) satorisciences(dot) com
de_nc _njClk(e) {document.body.className + = 'nj'; var i = new Image(); i.src = '/ gen204? njclk = 1'; i.onload = function() {i.onload = null ;}} var slgms = document.getElementById('gt-sl-superstores'); var tlgms = document.getElementById('gt-tl-superstores'); slgms.onclick = tlgms.onclock = _njClk;} Google Translate for Toolkit Global Market Finder Website Translator About Google Translate Turn off instant translation Privacy Help Google Translate for my:SearchesVideosEmailPhoneChatBusiness:Translator ToolkitGlobal Market FinderWebsite Translator About Google TranslateTurn off instant translationPrivacyHelp

Here is what it costs to travel in Bhutun. The cost does include accommodations. This is not a place to go if you are a shoe string trekker.

http://www.tourism.gov.bt/plan-your-trip/travel-requirements

Travel Requirements

Tourists can book a package holiday to Bhutan through both International and Bhutanese local tour operators. Information is available from travel agencies.

The Royal Government of Bhutan sets minimum selling prices for packages to Bhutan and this must be paid in US dollars prior to arrival in Bhutan.

Daily Tariff
The minimum tariff for tourist visiting in a group of 3 persons or more are as follows:

High Season Tariff – US$ 200 per person per night halt ( February, March, April, May, August, September, October, November and December).

Low Season Tariff – US$165 per person per night halt (January, June, July).

The minimum price includes:

All internal taxes and charges (including the royalty)
Accommodation
All Meals
All travel with a licensed Bhutanese Tour Guide
All Internal Transport
Camping Equipment and Haulage for Trekking Tours
The rates given above are applicable per tourist per night halt in Bhutan. On the day of departure, the ‘local agents’ host obligation shall be limited to breakfast only and any extra requirements shall be payable on actual basis.

The rates shall apply uniformly irrespective of locations and the type of accommodation provided/asked for. List of hotels and lodges approved for international tourist accommodation updated from time to time shall be issued by TCB.

Note: Minimum package cost is revised starting 1st January 2012. USD$ 250 per person per night for the months of March, April, May, September, October, and November. And USD$200 per person per night for the months of January, February, June, July, August, and December. For more information please check with TCB.

Surcharges
Individual tourists and smaller groups of less than three persons shall be subject to surcharge, over and above the minimum daily rates applicable, as follows:

Single individual US$ 40 per night
Group of 2 persons US$ 30 per person per night

The 10% agency commission payable to agents abroad shall not be deductible from the surcharge.

The surcharge will not be applicable to representatives of foreign travel agents on business study or promotional visit duly approved and cleared by TCB.

Discounts
a) With effect from 01/07/2009, the government has revoked the 25% discount on Diplomatic visas.

b) There shall be no charge for CHILDREN up to the age of 5 years. However, those between the ages of 6-12 years accompanied by elders/ guardians shall be given 50% discount on daily rates and 100% discount on Royalty.

c) Full time STUDENTS below the age of 25 years holding valid identity cards from their academic institutions shall also be given a 25% discount on daily rates.
d) A discount of 50% on daily rates shall be given to one person in a group of 11 to 15 people. 100% discount shall be given to one member in a group exceeding 16 persons.

e) 50%discount on Royalty shall be provided from the 9th night and 100% discount on Royalty shall be provided from the 14th night.

f) Visitors availing discounts under Sections A, B & C shall not be eligible for discount under E.

Detailed information on Druk Air flights, tour and trekking programmes, festivals, places of interest, hotels etc can be obtained from the tour operators.

Visa Formalities
Other than Indian, Bangladeshis and Maldivian nationals, all visitors to Bhutan require a visa; all visas are issued from Thimphu; visas are only issued to tourists booked with a local licensed tour operator, directly or through a foreign travel agent. Applications for tourist visas are submitted by the tour operator. Visa clearance from Thimphu must be obtained before coming to Bhutan. Visa clearance takes at least 10 days to process. Air tickets to Bhutan cannot be purchased without visa clearance. At your point of entry the visa will be stamped in your passport on payment of US$20, two passport photos will also be required. Visas are issued for a 15day period; extensions can be obtained in Thimphu at a cost of Nu.510.

Cancellations
Tour Programmes booked and subsequently cancelled shall be subject to cancellation charges as follows:

within 30 days of start of programme ~ no charges
within 21 days ~ 10% of rate
within 14 days ~ 15% of rate
within 7 days ~ 30% of rate
less than 7 days or without notice ~ 50% of rate
after arrival in Bhutan ~ 100%
Delayed Arrivals
There is no charge for delays in arrival and departure because of weather conditions disrupting flights or road blocks. The tourist must however bear the cost of food, accommodation, transportation, and other services required.

Note: INR (Indian Rupees) denominations of 500 and 1000 are not accepted in Bhutan.

Travelling to Bhutun is very difficult. Here is current information from the US State Department. (go here for active links)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:FluAAtlbVukJ:[travel.state.gov]

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You will need a passport and visa to enter and exit Bhutan. All visas are approved from Thimphu and are only issued to tourists booked with a local licensed tour operator, directly or through a foreign travel agent. Applications for tourist visas are submitted by the tour operator(See the Association of Bhutanese Tour Operators website for further information). All visitors, including those on official U.S. government business, must obtain visa clearance from Thimphu before coming to Bhutan.

Visa clearance takes at least 10 days to process and air tickets to Bhutan cannot be purchased without visa clearance. At your point of entry into Bhutan, immigration authorities will stamp a visa into your passport upon payment of USD 20. You will also need to provide two passport photos. Visas are issued for a 15 day period with extensions available in Thimphu at a cost of Nu.510. More information, including a list of authorized tour operators in Bhutan, may be obtained from the Tourism Council of Bhutan, PO Box 126, Thimphu, Bhutan, telephone 975-2-323251, 2-323252, fax 975-2-323695.

The Bhutanese Department of Tourism ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You will need a passport and visa to enter and exit Bhutan. All visas are approved from Thimphu and are only issued to tourists booked with a local licensed tour operator, directly or through a foreign travel agent. Applications for tourist visas are submitted by the tour operator(See the Association of Bhutanese Tour Operators website for further information). All visitors, including those on official U.S. government business, must obtain visa clearance from Thimphu before coming to Bhutan. Visa clearance takes at least 10 days to process and air tickets to Bhutan cannot be purchased without visa clearance. At your point of entry into Bhutan, immigration authorities will stamp a visa into your passport upon payment of USD 20. You will also need to provide two passport photos. Visas are issued for a 15 day period with extensions available in Thimphu at a cost of Nu.510. More information, including a list of authorized tour operators in Bhutan, may be obtained from the Tourism Council of Bhutan, PO Box 126, Thimphu, Bhutan, telephone 975-2-323251, 2-323252, fax 975-2-323695.

The Bhutanese Department of Tourism sets a non-negotiable minimum daily tariff for all visitors to Bhutan. The rate includes all accommodations, all meals, transportation, services of licensed guides and porters, and cultural programs where and when available. The rate is the same for both cultural tours and treks. Travelers should contact the Tourism Council for the latest daily tariff.

At this time, only two carriers service Bhutan: Drukair, the Bhutanese government airline, and the Nepalese carrier Buddha Air. Entry by air is available only via India, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Thailand. The border with China is closed. Airlines will board only travelers with visa clearance from the Tourism Authority of Bhutan. Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Bhutan. There are no disclosure regulations or restrictions for HIV/AIDS patients who enter Bhutan on a tourist visa for a maximum two-week visit. For longer stays, however, applicants must present the results of an HIV/AIDS test completed within the six months prior to their visit. The test can also be administered by Bhutanese officials upon arrival. Travelers should verify this information with the Bhutan Mission to the United Nations before you travel.

For the most current information on entry and exit requirements, please contact the Bhutan Mission to the United Nations (Consul General), 763 First Avenue, New York, NY 10017, telephone (212) 682-2268, fax (212) 661-0551. Outside the United States, inquiries should be made at the nearest Bhutan embassy or consulate.

sets a non-negotiable minimum daily tariff for all visitors to Bhutan. The rate includes all accommodations, all meals, transportation, services of licensed guides and porters, and cultural programs where and when available. The rate is the same for both cultural tours and treks. Travelers should contact the Tourism Council for the latest daily tariff.

At this time, only two carriers service Bhutan: Drukair, the Bhutanese government airline, and the Nepalese carrier Buddha Air. Entry by air is available only via India, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Thailand. The border with China is closed. Airlines will board only travelers with visa clearance from the Tourism Authority of Bhutan. Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Bhutan. There are no disclosure regulations or restrictions for HIV/AIDS patients who enter Bhutan on a tourist visa for a maximum two-week visit. For longer stays, however, applicants must present the results of an HIV/AIDS test completed within the six months prior to their visit. The test can also be administered by Bhutanese officials upon arrival. Travelers should verify this information with the Bhutan Mission to the United Nations before you travel.

For the most current information on entry and exit requirements, please contact the Bhutan Mission to the United Nations (Consul General), 763 First Avenue, New York, NY 10017, telephone (212) 682-2268, fax (212) 661-0551. Outside the United States, inquiries should be made at the nearest Bhutan embassy or consulate.

Date: November 22, 2011 11:36PM

So far, this person has gotten most of her publicity as a photographer. Bhutun has a lot of mystique; it is difficult to obtain a visa and expensive to travel there.

It remains an unspoiled area, and thus a focus for many longing hearts.

A book of photos from that area would be sure to attract attention.

It may be in that capacity as photographer that the person got a genuine endorsement from a member of the royal family.

But being a photographer and being a spiritual teacher are two completly different domains of activity.

Date: November 23, 2011 05:47AM

Hi

Thank you so much for all this. I have read a lot about her on the internet, though it's hard to find anything older than a few years. I have also been to her seminars, and she is not that old, possibly 38-45 yrs old.

She pushes people into programming jobs just like Frederick Lenz, and claims she has a black belt in karate.

She also claims to be an ordained Buddhist monk. I have done some research on Buddhist monks, and 1stly, a woman can't be one. I'm sure she's then going to say she's the only one lol. "To become a novice (samanera) all that is needed is to approach a monk of at least 10 years standing and ask to be accepted. After undertaking several years training and being at least 20 years old the novice is qualified to be a fully ordained monk. To do this he must approach an assembly of 10 monks each of at least 10 years standing who are respected for their virtue and learning. The candidate is then asked 11 questions to determine his suitability. (1) Are you free from disease? (2) Are you a human? (3) Are you a male? (4) Are you a free man? (5) Are you free from debt? (6) Do you have any obligations to the King? (7) Do you have your parents permission? (8) Are you at least 20 years of age (9) Do you have your robe and towel? (10) What is your name? (11) What is your teachers name? If the candidate answers these questions satisfactorily and if no objections are raised by the assembly, he is considered to be a fully ordained monk,"

She says she's been teaching since a decade now, which means she must have become an ordained monk latest at 30-35. She also claims to have worked on Wall Street (which sounds impressive, but she could have been a receptionist for a month, and truthfully say that!), and also worked for the White House, and covert military bases... pretty impressive for a woman under the age of 30! (assuming it happened before she became an ordained monk and before she started writing books and teaching)

I find what she says and does contradictory. For example, in her interview she says 'without having to be on some formal pathway of spiritual evolution. You don’t have to have a certain kind of life [or] a certain set of circumstances in order to be fulfilled " Yes, she 'strongly' encourages her students to get programming jobs, cut off from anyone that has negative energy, which would be basically anyone except her and her other students, etc...

I also know that she charges and every increasing 'tuition', up to thousands of dollars a month.. for being her 'student' (aka slave?)

She also takes her students on 'spiritual trecks', for example, to Bhutan. I am guessing in this way, taking 20-30 people, she guarantees herself 1st class travel to anywhere, plus cash to spend, and also makes herself even more 'mystical' to her students.

She also 'strips' her students of their ego.. I'm assuming by hard core character assassination attacks on the poor student until they break down, at which point she can re-build them into people who depend on her and obey her instructions no questions.

She also does not divulge who her 'teacher' is.. which I find odd... why not, unless it's a recognizable name in cults?

I will admit her books are interesting and her teachings are also intriguing, but be careful what is lying under the rose.. there are lots of thorns it seems.

I'm trying to find out more. Spoken to a past student of hers, and trying to find more. Anyone with any info or help, I'd really appreciate it!

Date: November 23, 2011 06:00AM

I was mistaken, women can become monks.. in certain parts of the world:

[www.buddhapadipa.org]
[www.hdamm.de]

Almost seems like in Thailand, a foreigner can become one very quickly.. in as little as a month or two..

Date: November 23, 2011 07:49AM

If you have a black belt in Karate, a practitioner should be able to name his or her Sensei (teacher) and the lineage in which he or she trained.

In Asian monastic traditions and martial arts traditions, lineage is part of it. You are not there as a self created agent. Without lineage you cannot train.

Posted by: jesse79 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 04:15PM

I attended a workshop led by Nicole Grace. I went at the urging of a friend who had become interested in her teachings and knew that I have some experience with Buddhism and Eastern religions.

I found Grace to be offensively un-informed about the subjects she purports to have mastered, and to employ worrying cult-like techniques
in trying to attract followers. I told my friend the same, but once I learned that others are also concerned about this woman, I wanted to relay some of my impressions of Grace’s “teaching” on a forum like this.

Summary of the "Teaching":

At the outset I have to say this was the most ridiculous talk about Buddhism, Mysticism, Meditation and self-improvement I have ever heard. After studying a lot of different groups when I was in college and having an interest in Eastern religion, especially Buddhism I was really amazed at how little this woman knows about the subject and how gullible the people in the group were.

Her theme was that our minds and enlightenment were like a movie we rented on DVD with the "Bonus Features" including the directors and actors commentary.

She advised that she never listens to the commentary on these extra features because that ruins the movie for her. She wants to believe in the movie and not be disillusioned by how it's made. Then she made the point that that is how we should lead our lives, clinging to our dreams and the inspiration of the movie of our life. She advised that the commentary in our minds was difficult to stop but if we practiced her techniques we could have our commentaries "in the voices of Denzel Washington or Tom Cruise! Wouldn't that be neat!"

One of the interesting things she said was that through meditation we could learn to, "Stop Thought". This has absolutely nothing to do with mediation in any tradition I know of, in Buddhism you are trained to observe your thoughts, let them arise but not attach to them so you can see them for what they are and obtain clarity. The only practice I know that encourages, "stop thought" practices are cult-like groups. This technique is to train you to stop thinking critically and to shut down your reasoning especially when there is any thought of criticism about the teacher or teaching. The "stop thought" is also to occur
when doubt arises. It is a control mechanism, it is not a meditation technique.

When she does have people meditate she plays dreamy music, sometimes instrumental other times songs with sappy lyrics. She has one female singer that has a backing track of a male using the deep throated chanting technique in a syncopated style and it sounds like he is chanting a sacred mantra as a pop soundtrack back up rhythm.

This too is not conducive to meditation, rather it is useful for inducing a mild trance state and makes people even more suggestible. She tells everyone to concentrate on their heart center, then gives a long and badly informed description of what the heart center is or represents and at one point said it was "OK to just concentrate on your butt!" This elicits laughs and smiles and an "aw shucks I'm just a regular girl kind of guru". She clearly is performing and seducing her audience throughout. Then she suggests we try to concentrate on the heart center because that would be better but "it really doesn't
matter". In the course of her lecture/teaching she mentions that we can use our power we gain from using her techniques to get anything we want and really have a good time or we can take a purely spiritual path, it doesn't really matter and she doesn't want to be judgmental about people who just opt for money and success over devoting themselves to serving others. (She doesn't put it quite so succinctly or coherently but that is what her message is, she expresses herself in half sentences and jumps around a lot.)

During the meditations she is aware people will look at her so she smiles beatifically at times as if she is just rolling along on the great divine wave of enlightenment. She also uses a parody of Buddhist mudras (in this case hand gestures). She holds her palms outward as if reading or receiving energy and then makes the gesture of forefinger and thumb touching with hands outward imitating the Buddha's gestures.She does these in the manner of a garden Buddha statue and doesn't form them correctly, it's just for show. Her ignorance of the mudra gestures makes it even more clear that she has never really
studied Buddhism with a traditional teacher.

She never discussed posture even though she talks about chakras and power in the various centers. Truly her discussion of Kundalini energy could be used as a parody of yoga or meditation teachers. I'm not sure she has even read a good book on the topic and if she has, she has long since forgotten the contents and prefers to give her own half baked interpretations. I had the impression she just made some of it up as she went along. She is very self-indulgent and let's everyone know throughout that she is so advanced that this "stuff" is old hat to her and she is just making it simple, demystifying it for the masses.

She casually mentions enlightenment from the perspective that of course she is enlightened and speaking with first hand knowledge. (I have never heard another teacher on the subject ever claim to be enlightened, it's considered very bad form and the height of hubris. To make grandiose statements like that means you aren't even close to being enlightened, you haven't even begun to cope with your ego.) In her case this presents no problem for her and evidently, not for her students.

When someone asked her about prayer she responded, "Oh prayer, I've spent lifetimes on my knees in prayer, I wrote the book about praying!" She then gives a knowing laugh, the audience nods and smiles knowingly along with her and she skips ahead to continue her fractured metaphor about movies and DVD's with bonus tracks. It made no sense but that didn't seem to bother anyone.

On the subject of mysticism: when she finally got around to it, it took her quite awhile even though it was listed as the subject of the lecture series, she asked the audience if we had all read Harry Potter. Most of the young people raised their hands. She expressed feigned shock that the rest of the audience hadn't read the books, "Oh my God! Surely you have read Harry Potter!" Then she said, very seriously, that "Harry Potter is the ultimate mystical handbook!" So that covered mysticism and she moved right on to, "Did you see the Green Lantern movie? It is all about using the force of the will!" She
added sagely that when you build up your power, (presumably through her techniques), "it can drain out!"

When you have this power and are on your way to using it for a job or a promotion or to get anything you want in the world, "what you never want is doubt...don't even think it!" This applies to getting what you want. Then she rambles a bit and says but if you don't get it, then it isn't what is really best for you and if you stay true to her principles something even better will happen for you. (Neatly covering herself when these stupid recommendations on how to get jobs and raises and money don't work.)

On job interviews, one of her admonitions is to not appear that you want the job, let the people interviewing you know that THEY need to demonstrate that they want YOU!" (Surely a winning technique, especially in this economy.)

She discussed intention, or at least began to discuss it. Intention is an important concept in Buddhism, especially the right motivation and how it translates into right livelihood so I thought she was going to discuss the different paths one can take spiritually and how important motive is. Here is her take on the subject, " Visualization is only...what? Well intending is different." So much for that subject. She then adds, "You constantly keep re-dreaming, It's like the job, do you really want it and are the ethics in place?" She doesn't explain what exactly she means by that cryptic statement. Like est or Landmark Forum, the implication is that you "get it" if you are really listening and tuned into what she is saying. Or maybe she has become so careless that she doesn't even bother to make it coherent.

She continues, "When you are enlightened you just want to tell everyone that its (?) beauty and joy and you can deal with others confusion...enlightenment is such an opportunity to get over yourself, like get yourself in a position at work, you can do it better, get a better position and make more money and help people." Then she goes straight into another pitch for her book "which is for sale at the back of the room and available at the end of the talk". (The books
remained covered by a bedspread or cloth until she leaves.) She makes a crack about how you can look at it but you have to pay for it but she is sure she can trust everyone not to take one without paying.

The level of gullibility, naiveté and ignorance about the topics she lectures on, must be very, very high among her followers. I know there are a lot of shysters out there who are cynical hypocrites, but most have a far more persuasive line and a much better grounding in the concepts they lecture about than her.

Her audience seemed to enjoy the lecture and most gave a "namaste" style bow to her. She folds her hands and gives a traditional bow at the start and finish, just a head gesture with the hands in front of her, not a full bow. It's just a little theatrical touch with a hint of the traditional Eastern respect for student and teacher.

I can't actually believe she recruits serious students. I think anyone that read or attended a talk by somenone knowledgeable about the concepts she purports to be a master of would quickly realize that she is a fake. It's a new age side show and not even a very good one.

Posted by: katyk ()
Date: February 20, 2012 07:03AM

...I saw your entry and thought I would describe my experience.  One of my co-workers told me about Nicole and that they were having a meditation group at the Zen Center in SF.  I have attended the Zen Center  and went on retreat at Green Gulch farm so I thought it would be a Buddhist type of meditation study. I was really surprised to see that felt more like a promo sales  talk for Nicole Grace.
  I arrived at the event ten minutes early, paid the $10 entry fee, and sat down.  There was new-age music playing in the background.  The room was set-up with approximately six rows of chairs and two rows of meditation cushions in the front row.

There were about 12 people attending the event. The crowd was a mix of men and women of different ages and ethnicities.  Most of the crowd were about 25 to 40, most were white but there were a few minorities. I bought one of the CD's to listen to later and the woman that sold it to me said she was a student and most of the people present were also students. I asked her if she studied with any one else and she said no.

The session started with silence.  Nicole Grace walked into the room accompanied by a man.  He appeared to be her assistant but he was more like a bodyguard.  He opened the door for her, held her coat, and then sat in the corner of the room and kept is eye on everyone. Even when we were all meditating he was watching us.   Nicole was dressed in black pants and a black top.  She has long brown hair and was wearing dark lipstick. She acted very cool, like she was being kind of glam, I was thinking she was like a talk show hostess.

Grace started the session talking about San Francisco and all of the exterior city noises that exist here that can distract us and take away our focus.  She emphasized that it is still possible to meditate with all of these city noises.  She took a poll to see who in the room was meditating for the first time.  She instructed the group to follow the waves of the music, to focus on the sounds of the music during the first mediation session that she led.  She also explained to the group what and where your chakras are located (she seemed a little unclear on the concept actually).  She encouraged everyone in the group to touch their heart chakra and open it before starting the meditation.  At this point a male attendee raised his hand and said he “could not find his heart chakra”.  She told him that she could help him.  She instructed him to make eye contact with her and she would use her “energy” to help him locate his heart chakra.  Her gaze was penetrating his eyes and then scanning his body to his lower torso.  She then asked him, “Do you feel it, do you feel your chakra?”  He responded that he did.

She used her iPod and made a music selection for the first meditation.  She asked everyone to close their eyes and then the meditation began.  The music was upbeat, electronic beats, no words and no lyrics.  The meditation session lasted about 15 minutes. She kind of grooved along with the music with a half smile, a kind of knowing smile like she was getting her own special message. It seemed very stagy to me.

Once the music stopped there was approximately four minutes of dead silence in the room and then she opened her eyes and resumed talking to the group.  She gave an explanation on “vibrations”, how everyone has them, and how we feel them.  She explained what it means to have feel a good vibe from a group of people and how this can happen in your place of work, friends, at home etc.  She addressed how it is possible to pick up on the “vibe” of a place.  She then addressed how it is possible to pick up on the vibe of a workplace.  For example if you have a job interview at a company that you really want to work for, she advised that you go to the company a week before the interview.  She told the group to go and pick up on the “vibe” of the office so that when you go in for the interview your “vibe” matches the “vibe” of their work environment.  She told the group to pay attention to how people dressed and how they talked, and then mirror that on the day of the interview to succeed in obtaining the open position.

After her talk she led the group in another meditation playing similar music.  At the end of the music she bowed to the room and everyone bowed back to her with their hands clasped together at their hearts.  She exited the room with the same male who entered with her. He instructed us not to get up or move or follow Nicole out of the room. (I guess they couldn't make her disappear in a puff of smoke.)  A male from the audience who was greeting people at the beginning of the session addressed the group and instructed folks to sign-up on their email list to hear about more gatherings with her.  He also encouraged people to stay and purchase one of Nicole Grace’s books and/or cd’s that they were selling at the back of the room.

I waited around so I could look at the books and literature. A woman at the table asked me if I wanted to get involved and to sign up for more events.  When I left the building there were quite a few people standing outside. It looked like they were waiting to be allowed back in. There were more security guards outside but they didn't talk to the people waiting to get back in. My guess these were her devoted followers.

The whole thing struck me as odd. It wasn't really a meditation, it was like a group hypnosis with the music and the eyes closed session, the breathy talk broken up with a kind of "be successful, get rich and get enlightened, it's your choice" kind of pitch. The message was always that Nicole really had all the answers and if you listen to her and buy her books and tapes you too can be rich or save the universe, it's your choice. She seems to me like a Martha Stewart for New Age groupies.

Her talk about chakras and energy and vibes seemed pretty ridiculous really.  I guess her students or the people that go to these sessions don't know much about the subject. It was more like Sci-Fi and How to Succeed in Business by just being Groovy.

A waste of time in my opinion. I won't go back. Where did this woman come from and what pray tell qualifies her to be any body's teacher?

I don't understand why the Zen Center would let someone so unqualified use their facilities. The more it think about it the more it seems like just a big sales promo with the product being Nicole Grace.  I feel like I got hustled for $10 and the price of the CD (which I tried to listen to but is more of the same New Age mish mash, don't know how she sells this stuff.)

Oh yeah, and what's up with the bodyguards and the big mystery?

Date: February 20, 2012 07:56AM

For body guards to be effective, they are supposed to communicate with whatever institution is being visited by the person in thier care. The US Secret Service goes in advance to any place that is on an itinerary and does a complete 'sweep.'

If bodyguards do not do that, they are worse than useless--just there to give a mere illusion of security and worse, be an intimidating presence.

And an intimadating non verbal presence is a violation of Buddhist right speech. We are told to beware of harsh and intimidating speecha and also to avoid boasting and bragging--avoidance of praising self at expense of others.

Well, presence of body guards just to provide a sense of importance could be considered a nonverbal form of boasting, a non verbal form of praising self at expense of others and is also a nonverbal form of harsh and intimidating speech.

When its someone like the POTUS (President of the US) who clearly risks harm from unhappy people, bodyguards are a sad necessity. But...most of the ones who take care of heads of state are hidden. They are much more effective as body guards by being hidden, not by being intimidating.

Another question about Nicole's bodyguards--are they even trained properly?.

Please contact San Francisco Zen Center and describe what you have seen.

You are not being judgemental in doing so. Nicole made a judgement by deciding to surround herself with bodyguards.

It would be also be interesting to find out whether the bodyguards are carrying weapons of any kind.

If they are, do they have the proper licenses to carry weapons and (most important) whether the persons who rent rooms at Zen Center were told about this, or even told that this lady was going to be accompanied by bodyguards, even if unarmed.

A Zen Center is a practice space for persons who have renounced the use of violence, or the use of intimidating speech or intimdating gestures either for life, or at least for the period of their residency on the premises.

You would do a service as a citizen to contact Zen Center, describe what you have seen and prove the URL for this discussion. It is very likely that Zen Center does what many universities, churches, hospitals, and public libraries do - it relies on income from room rentals to various groups.

And it is easy for any person or group to make it seem that Zen Center or whoever theyve rented a room from endorses what they do, when in truth its just a room rental.

However, a monastery, which is what a Zen Center is, is not a proper place for body guards, unless someone special is visiting, such as Salman Rushdie, the POTUS or the Dalai Lama.

So... give SFZC an email and ask them whats going on and whether they approved of the bodyguard presence.

And here are the guidelines:

"In keeping with the aspiration of harmlessness, all firearms and other weapons designed principally for taking life have no place within Zen Center practice places. "

(Knives and tools for kitchen and construction site use are the exceptions to this)

[www.sfzc.org]

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.