Journeys
Posted by: OutofTransition ()
Date: November 02, 2011 06:58AM

Does anyone know anything about the "Journeys" small group movement? I've heard talk about it in my area. Apparently it is something some of the evangelical churches are doing. The idea is to be open and honest. I understand it can be quite emotional as people are encouraged to share some of their deepest and most emotional secrets. I was just wondering if any one here has had any experience with it good or bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Journeys
Posted by: OutofTransition ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:19AM

An update--From what I have been able to find out, "Journeys" was started in the Kalamazoo, Michigan area as part of an outreach/healing ministry by one of the area churches, and it does not seem to have spread much beyond that area. I know that at least one pastor has cautiously expressed support for it; he has apparently given his "blessing" for some members to take part in it at the church that is holding the meetings, but he himself has not committed to it, preferring to take a wait and see attitude. At this point, it sounds fairly benign, but with anything of this nature, there is the potential for abuse.

Re: Journeys
Posted by: Lord Haw Haw ()
Date: November 23, 2011 10:43AM

It does have it's good and bad points;

Good points: Close bonds and fellowship between brothers and sisters.

Bad points: Open to abuse, as people will have emotinal information on other members and may abuse the information they are made aware of.

As long as it is not enforced on whole congregations, there should be no issue with it at all, it's only when whole congregations are enforced to follow the Joirney, that it becomes controlling.

Very simillar to the Sherperding Movement, that sprang up in the 70's from church groups like Potter's House and International Church of Christ.

Something that has to be watched, but not attacked, until their is eveidence of abuse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.