My mother is in a cult
Posted by: aristophanes ()
Date: August 16, 2011 01:51PM

Hello. I need some help and advice.

My mother (she lives in a different country) is in a cult. Her mind is 100% controlled by them, and she truly believes that the cult leader is the god. I live thousands of miles away from her, and I have no idea what I can do to help. She barely talkes to me, almost never initiates a conversation via Skype or phone. And it's getting worse. I think they want to completely cut me off her. She has no friends or close relatives (besides me) outside of that cult. I know I should be their with her, but 1) right now I am in school here in the US, 2) even when I was there I had very little impact on her. Talking isn't helpful, and nothing else comes to my mind. If I become very active and call the media and police, she will stop talking to me. And there is absolutely no guarantee that any of those measures would work.

What should I do? How do people leave cults? What should I write/say to her? How should I behave when I am back for Christmas brake? If you were in a cult, what helped you to get out? I did a lot of research about cults, but it only makes this situation seem more scary and desperate. I am anxious about it every second of my live. I love my mother and I want her to be happy and have her mind in full control. I also want to be able to talk to her (real her, not this shell of person that she is now).

How do you, relatives and loving ones, cope with it? How do you convince yourself to see hope and don't go crazy yourself?

Thank you a lot in advance for all your advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My mother is in a cult
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 16, 2011 09:44PM

See [www.culteducation.com]

This explains how to cope with cult members.

Some of these strategies may be helpful.

Posted by: three ()
Date: August 16, 2011 09:55PM

never got involved with a cult thank GOD for that . it is best to stay away from them altogether

Posted by: its4him ()
Date: September 01, 2011 12:39AM

I have been involved with two cults in my lifetime. The most important thing you can do is pray for your mom. Once a person is in a cult it is very difficult to reach them. Cults are by their very nature keep their followers isolated. Cult members are happy to be part of a family group and are made to feel superior to those outside the group. In both of my experiences I realized something was wrong but in both cases scripture was used to back up their beliefs. I did not have a sense of anything wrong until I was involved in the inner circle of leadership in both groups. What those experiences have taught me is that legalism and leader worship are very deceiving. It can happen to anyone by appealing to their pride.

Before you do get to talk to her find out what their core beliefs are and biblically show her what they preach is not true. DO NOT DO THIS IN FRUSTRATION OR ANGER. Remember that you are not there to argue. You are to encourage. You need to be in prayer and know your scriptures. Research the leader of the group and the group itself and see if there is anyone who can help that has been involved with them that have had success getting out. I can tell you that when confronted with opposition cult members have been trained to respond usually with scripture. If they have not been with the cult for long they may step back and tell you that you have a point or shut down and not want to talk about it. After having a sense of discouragement from what they thought to be true they will go to the leadership and ask questions. This is where you may lose contact with your mom if you are not prepared. Before you make any attempt to debunk make sure that you let her know that no matter what anyone says to her. That you love her and you always want to be a part of her life. Have her commit to you that she wants the same.

I am praying for you and your mom. God is faithful and he rewards those who diligently seek Him. You may not get anywhere the first time but you are planting the seeds of truth that will grow if she allows them to. This may take some time but remember we are all responsible for our walk with the Lord. We each have independent thought and ultimately we each make our own decisions on following Him. It just so sad that there are so many people that will take advantage of true seekers for their own gain.

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: September 02, 2011 07:11PM

When my mother and I were in a cult, my grandparents used several of the teqniques listed on RRoss's link above. It probably eventually got us out because we were not threatened by them. Since all talk was limited to family updates we were allowed to keep that connection. Even when we were discouraged not to talk to the them or write them we knew the world outside still existed for us. I can't recommend those tips highly enough.

Also remember that you aren't in the cult and to let the fact you are rule your life is not healthy. Make sure you live each day for itself and dont' awfulize. That is the worst you can do for both your mother and you.

Please know you and your family are in my thoughts during this trying time.

Posted by: aristophanes ()
Date: September 02, 2011 11:05PM

Thank you so much for all your words. I appreciate everything you wrote. Being so far away doesn't help. And now she barely calls me and almost never picks up the phone when I am calling. All my hopes are for my Christmas break visit.

Posted by: seecloromsPop ()
Date: October 19, 2011 03:56AM

If she is truly in search for truth she will come out see the bull****, cult might want to bring you in also but be very very careful and never ever show them that you are not happy with the cult or member etc. , find out about them in your time about this group is the best... and read more of the advice from rick ross.. good luck to you...

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 19, 2011 04:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.