Aish Ha Torah - Is it what it appears to be?
Posted by: Eyes Open ()
Date: February 28, 2003 11:08PM

I've been taking a wonderful class run by Aish Ha Torah for more than a year. My personal goal has been to learn more about Judaism so that I can make it more joyful for my children. And I have done that. The people I've met have been bright, kind, and very welcoming.

Perhaps I am just suspicious by nature but I did a bit of research and now I am concerned ([www.culteducation.com] - The Pain of One Jewish Mother- a cautionary personal story)
June 1998)

Does the group have an unspoken agenda? Their missions statement says their goal is to "provide opportunities for Jews of all backgrounds to discover the wisdom and beauty of their heritage in an atmosphere of open inquiry and mutual respect" But I wonder if the unsaid mission is to ultimately make all Jews Orthodox. If so, that won't work for my interfaith family. Does anyone have any information they could share with me about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: March 01, 2003 01:33AM

All of these outreach organizations have the agenda of bringing Jews back to the ancient ways. They also have the agenda of bringing the messiah, etc.. So what they want is political as well as spiritual. Both go hand in hand. So much for those late night ham sandwiches.
I was at Aish for about 2 months in '95. I have about 25 years experience dealing with these "kiruv" operations. Today, they are highly coordinated especially the ones within the old city of Jerusalem.
If you look at the posting in the archives, you'll see my perspective on what's been going on. And I'm, humbly, a senior commentor on this forum. So Rick Ross, I'm sure knows where I'm coming from.

Date: March 01, 2003 02:28AM

I'm pretty prejudiced against orthodox Judaism. I'm not sure what major accomplishment(s) it's produced after Maimonides who lived about 1000 years ago.
You must remember that most Jews opted out of orthodoxy for a wide variety of reasons. Most Jews don't want to live this way, can't live this way and would hurt themselves and their families if they got involved.
I know loads of Baalei Teshuvas who went back to eating trief etc.. Orthodox Judaism is a very regimented way of living.
It also discourages "free thought", philosophic speculation, etc.. The latter 2 are the reasons why America is foremost in scientific thought.
If you look at [www.hillel.org.il] and go to viewing the guestbook you'll see that I successfully debated some rather astute orthodox Jews on why I ditched the whole thing. One was Gil Student who wrote a book refuting Lubavitch and their belief about their Rebbe's messiahship even after death.
But the most important thing to me is that I believe that the Torah is a moral code that's melded to mythology to sell it. And that makes it inferior merchandise.

Date: March 01, 2003 02:35AM

Originally posted by Eyes Open
The people I've met have been bright, kind, and very welcoming.
(They're experts at engaging people they see as viable returnees to Judaism. Only the best model orthodox Jews get to be
kiruv workers ("kiruv rechokim" means bringing back those who have left the fold)

Does the group have an unspoken agenda?
(Yes. It's not just shabbat dinners and passover seders. It's a whole way of life they really want to push. And note that they set themselves up as experts on Judaism and the only Judaism they respect is their own "Torah True Judaism", which to me is a
ancient, outmoded and myth based system)

But I wonder if the unsaid mission is to ultimately make all Jews Orthodox.
(They tend to be realistic. If they get 1000 people to listen 2 stick around. But they wait for the day they can be more influential. And one of the Messiah's qualifications is that he has to be influential in bringing Jews back to Judaism. Who knows which of these kiruv workers thinks he's the Moshach etc..)

If so, that won't work for my interfaith family.
(If you think that interfaith counseling is what they're all about you're wrong. Shlomo Carlebach prevented interfaith marriages. I'm sure they'd like to break up any interfaith activities. These people believe that they and only they should be the interperators of Jewish law, monotheism, world religion etc.. I don't believe they want Christians to believe in Jesus and Moslems to believe in Mohammed. They only want all the control they can get. Period.)

Does anyone have any information they could share with me about this?

Date: March 02, 2003 02:42AM

Anyone who wants to get in touch with me can through richardmgreen@yahoo.com
I'm more than willing to share my perspective.
You have to realize that Aish Hatorah's approach is really slick. It's a marketing blitz. I signed up for their "Ask the Rabbi" offering. They sent me a book co-authored by Shraga Simmons who is one of the Aish Rabbi repsondents. They also sent a tape from their 48 Paths offering.
There are plenty of orthodox failures, people who don't look nice and marketable, etc.. Does Aish show you these? NO. Only the role models who are successful are on display.
Aish also tries to get more money once they have you hooked up for one program. I was at their yeshiva in '95 and I can tell you that a lot of the students there aren't really such great people.
When I was at Dvar Yerushalayim 25 years ago, one of the students was a diamond thief. So much for attracting pure souls.
Again, any other info, email me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.