Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
What the Bible say about race.
Posted by: firefly ()
Date: March 27, 2007 05:18PM

richardmgreen
Despite all of this, Xian slave owners used to justify their treatment of blacks with the Bible claiming that negroes were the descendents of Ham the son of Noah who's skin turned black because of a sin they committed against Noah.

Please also note that many many christians were also among the abolishonists (sp?) who brought about an end to the slave trade, and got the law changed to make slavery illegal. William Wilberforce- seen my many as the figurehead of the movement was an evangelical christian.

Options: ReplyQuote
What the Bible say about race.
Posted by: Harry Lime ()
Date: September 03, 2007 05:03AM

firefly
richardmgreen
Despite all of this, Xian slave owners used to justify their treatment of blacks with the Bible claiming that negroes were the descendents of Ham the son of Noah who's skin turned black because of a sin they committed against Noah.

Please also note that many many christians were also among the abolishonists (sp?) who brought about an end to the slave trade, and got the law changed to make slavery illegal. William Wilberforce- seen my many as the figurehead of the movement was an evangelical christian.

PA-LEEEEZ Mr. Green.... You forget that Moses was married to a black woman as was King Solomon - the Queen of Sheba was a black Ethiopian. And do not forget that there was a great pipeline from Israel to Ethiopia because of this. At any rate, racism exists in the history of all the great religions, but doesn't make the religions racist as a whole.

And yes, slavery ended more from the moral ethos and leadership of Christians than from any other force. The Jews had a great hand in the Civil Rights movement as well.

Now I'd like to see the Muslims spearhead a Chidren's and Woman's Rights movement. There are some great Muslim heroines out there already.

Re: What the Bible say about race.
Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: November 18, 2007 02:16AM

Ham was Noah's son and he had several children. One of them was Cain and that particular (cursed) grandchild of Noah was anscestor to Caananites. Caananites ceased to be a people...they were destroyed or absorbed. Raahab...was a Caananite. She is also an anscestor to Jesus.

Date: November 18, 2007 02:40AM

Only one Biblical reference to skin color that I can found is in Song of songs chapter 1. Solomon's lover says ''I am black...."
Solomon goes on to describe her as the fairest of all women so...
According to the Bible we can say that black really is beautiful.

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: November 18, 2007 12:51PM

Sallie
Only one Biblical reference to skin color that I can found is in Song of songs chapter 1. Solomon's lover says ''I am black...."
Solomon goes on to describe her as the fairest of all women so...
According to the Bible we can say that black really is beautiful.

Am I the only one who finds that last statement disturbing?

Sallie, how would you feel if this particular reference wasn't in the Bible?

Sallie, what are your thoughts on other skin types?

Date: November 19, 2007 05:19AM

Hi Jack,
My thoughts on black being beautiful is that....I think black is beautiful. Why? You don't?
As to other skin types, I think they are also beautiful. You know, a tulip doesn't lose it's beauty because it is engulfed by a violet and/or rose. The beauty of a flower is often enhanced by others. Human beauty is not so different. That's just me. I like variety. But it's all ''just a vapor'' anyway...you know .... beauty. I think a person's soul is what really makes them beautiful. Why? What's wrong with the Bible mentioning the fact that a black woman is beautiful? You don't like black people?

Date: November 19, 2007 07:37AM

I was just pulling you up on your inclusion of the adverb, 'really'. Perhaps, I was overreacting. I'm just not one of those people who needs Biblical authority to make up my mind. Of course, beauty is not dependent on skin, eye, hair colour. It does play some part, but I think much of what we consider beautiful is just us being really lazy. An example is the feminine form. Historically what we've considered beautiful or desirable is quite different to now. I agree with you that 'true' beauty comes from the inside, through our actions. Interestingly, we may sometimes suffer a kind of crisis of consciousness when it comes to certain views we have. For instance, black super models (and this is not colour dependent) like Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks are, by our modern standards of beauty, very gorgeous women. But these individuals, IMO, are not very beautiful on the inside. So, there's a crisis - given the opportunity, many men would commit themselves for these people only to discover later what inner bitches they are. Hey, I might be wrong, too.

Date: November 20, 2007 01:39AM

Society's view of beauty certainly has changed. I read once that the archetype of feminine beauty in each society over the years is somehow a reflection of wealth. Back in the day when poor women worked hard long hours in the hot sun and barely ate...pale and voluptuous women were considered beautiful. This is because they could afford to sit indoors and eat. Now in our society an indication of wealth is the ability to lay in the sun and eat a low carb..sushi and steak diet. So tan and thin is in. We agree that true beauty comes from within. I personally don't think
Tyra Banks and Naomi Campbell are all that because...well..I wouldn't use the B word but I have seen them on TV and ... what a turnoff.

Date: November 20, 2007 08:18AM

Well said, Sallie. Admittedly, I'm not 'perfect' and I'm prone to the occasional emotional leak. I certainly have strong views, but my saving grace is a deep sense of humility I try and carry on the inside (sometimes expressed outwardly). I don't know if that makes any sense, but what I'm trying to allude to is the fact that truth is relative. And because it is not absolute (thank the gods) and I don't usually fear the unknown, I can embrace the mysteries of life. These mysteries can and will unravel to become something more solid, but even then I'm wary of my part in finding this truth. To this point in my life, I've learned not to always trust my observations, intuitions and reasoning. It won't stop me questing for this elusive beastie, however, and as an artist I wouldn't want it any other way. Long live the imagination!

Yeah, I know, I went completely off the topic...

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.