Current Page: 2 of 4
What the Bible say about race.
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: July 23, 2003 12:35AM

That the sons of Ham had dark skin was in the Midrash if I remember correctly. It's a very ancient belief and was not originated by the Xians but by the Jews.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Claire ()
Date: July 23, 2003 11:46AM

Simon the Cyrene who carried the cross of Jesus was black. Could I ask why you use the term Xian?

Date: July 24, 2003 09:48PM

Claire
Simon the Cyrene who carried the cross of Jesus was black. Could I ask why you use the term Xian?
I use Xian as an abbreviation of Christian. That's it nothing more.

Posted by: hengist ()
Date: July 26, 2003 09:25PM

The Bible is like the I Ching, you can interpret it in any way you
choose. Regarding race, the best guide is your own instincts.
Regardless of what media experts and educational authorities
tell you, nature knows best and will always win in the end. If you
act against nature then you are doomed to failure.

Posted by: greenberean ()
Date: July 28, 2003 04:34AM

The Bible is like the I Ching, you can interpret it in any way you

I don't know of any work of literature that is to be interpreted how the reader chooses. One must always gague the author's intent, and one must recognize what style of writing is being used. You don't treat a chemistry textbook as political satire, and you don't read I Cing as if it were comedy. This is one of the reasons that people say the Bible is full of contradictions. They fail to comprehend [read: acknowledge] literary devices and allegory when appropriate, and tread all over the authors' intents. If you can interpret the I Ching your way, and I can interpret it my way, then we will undoubtedly come to starkly different conclusions about the spiritual principles within. We can form vastly dfferent philosophies regarding that text-so different, in fact, that neither will be the Taoism of the next guy. Then, what use is the text at all if no two people believe it to be the same thing? Why not write your own religious handbook?
If you don't respect the author's intent, then why put any validity in the author's beliefs?

Date: July 28, 2003 09:03PM

greenberean
the bible does not teach that the descendants of Ham were dark-skinned because of a sin they committed.
(RMG's reply: Orthodox Jews disagree and they think they've been keeping accurate notes ever since Adam and Eve.)

Even if that were true, it is not a man's job to continue to punish a fellow man in God's place. These men would have been just as much out of line with God's moral will as the crusaders. These slaveowners had no understanding of God's view on slavery, not to mention understanding of yeshiva. More misinformation, and more excuses to bash christianity (RMG's reply: I was commenting on Judaism not Xianity) is what it sounds like to me.

Posted by: hengist ()
Date: July 29, 2003 01:45AM

Your response to my post is a tad confusing to say the least and loaded with contradictions. Do you agree or disagree with me and what was your point exactly?

Date: July 30, 2003 01:52AM

(RMG's reply: I was commenting on Judaism not Xianity) is what it sounds like to me.

I see where we missed each other here. I believe in a spiritual continuity between Judaism and Christianity, where morally they are the same religion with the same God. St. Augustine expressed this well when he said:
"That which is now called the Christian religion existed among the ancients, and never did not exist since the planting of the human race until Christ came in the flesh, at which time the true religion which already existed began to be called Christianity."

Date: July 30, 2003 01:58AM

Your response to my post is a tad confusing to say the least and loaded with contradictions. Do you agree or disagree with me and what was your point exactly?

When a person writes something, it is a work of his own, not necessarily like a piece of modern art that another person can look at and say, "Although the sculptor intended to communicate such and such, This is what it means to me."

So with the I Ching, or with the Bible, you can agree or disagree with the messsage you get by applying the correct hermeneutic, but you can't take total liberty with the text and make it something it was never meant to be.

PS: If you find me guilty of contradiction, please elaborate....

Date: July 30, 2003 03:01AM

greenberean

When a person writes something, it is a work of his own, not necessarily like a piece of modern art that another person can look at and say, "Although the sculptor intended to communicate such and such, This is what it means to me."

So with the I Ching, or with the Bible, you can agree or disagree with the messsage you get by applying the correct hermeneutic, but you can't take total liberty with the text and make it something it was never meant to be.

PS: If you find me guilty of contradiction, please elaborate....
I don't believe in the Bible and even less in the Jewish commentaries. But I was merely stating what some people believe and the justification they had for enslavement of the negroes. But I don't buy it myself. It's just a lame excuse.

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.