Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Burning Crosses, right or no right
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: November 29, 2002 11:44PM

I have never really studied the KKK, and have only heard what is in the media, so what I understand about the KKK is that they are racists, some members murderers, and the rest a variety of criminals. However, I'm not against their cross lightings. Banning cross lightings or any other type of public rituals will not make the groups go away. It will merely cause them to become more creative with getting their messages out. At least when they light up, they can be seen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TheWhiteFlyer ()
Date: November 30, 2002 01:46PM

It's hard to argue with Hope. That post was excellent.

Posted by: mavin ()
Date: December 01, 2002 09:41AM

The KKK has ties to the Nazis and has been responsible for murders of civil rights marchers in the past. Cross burning was used for intimidation purposes on the front lawns of homes to frighten black people into submission.

If a cross burning is part of their so called "religious" or freedom of expression, and it is done on their private property, I would suppose that this despicable behavior should be tolerated. In the form that it was used in the past on property of the victimized or on public property, I think it should not be allowed.

Done in their private ceremonies I guess it has to be allowed under our Constitution.

Now if the Catholic Church wants to have a mass in a public place, will it be allowed? I think not.

The word "public" could be on television. Then what? Because of the association with hate crimes, I do not think that the KKK should be allowed to do it in public. hm would be interesting to find out what the rest of the people on the forum really think. We have to be careful of our Constitution too. Mavin

Posted by: VTHokie ()
Date: December 02, 2002 07:09AM

[i:3b69ae81f2]Now if the Catholic Church wants to have a mass in a public place, will it be allowed? I think not. [/i:3b69ae81f2]

It should be. Although I disagree with the Catholic Mass, I certainly should not have the power to stop it.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: December 02, 2002 10:04AM

I did not know that the KKK lights crosses on the property of their victims\targets. That should be prosecuted under the laws regarding hate crimes, destruction of property, etc. However, lighting crosses on their own private property should not be banned for reasons already stated. I don't understand why we would need more laws concerning the former.

Posted by: mavin ()
Date: December 02, 2002 11:13AM

Well we were talking about the KKK, and I interjected with that CAtholic thingie. There is already Catholic masses on television.

But if the Catholic or any church wanted to march down the avenue or in a public park and hold "their" ceremonies in a similiar public place, was the point, would they be allowed to do so?

Being a hate group, should the KKK be able to hold public cross lightings or burnings or whatever they are called, I guess was/is the question in the first place.

I end up between a rock and a hard place because the Constitution must also be reaconed with. Mavin

Posted by: VTHokie ()
Date: December 03, 2002 02:00AM

[i:473cb1cbba]But if the Catholic or any church wanted to march down the avenue or in a public park and hold "their" ceremonies in a similiar public place, was the point, would they be allowed to do so? [/i:473cb1cbba]

They should be allowed to do so because a Mass is not considered offensive by societal norms. Burning a cross is considered offensive by societal norms and is also considered intimidating.

It's like the difference between walking downtown with a sign that says "Eat at Joes" and a sign that shows people having sex. Clearly one is harmless and the other is not.

Posted by: Fatman ()
Date: December 12, 2002 11:56AM

Well i am new here but the KKK is by law aloud to have these demenstrations...am i right...i mean i belive the constitution says people can have marches, protest, and all as long as it is peacful...so if they burn the cross but cause no boldly harm to anyone how is that so wrong...i personaly am not to happy bout that but they can do as they wish with our bill of rights...i mean if they wish to demenstrate let it be so...that is what i ahve to say

Posted by: Fatman ()
Date: December 12, 2002 11:57AM

Well i am new here but the KKK is by law aloud to have these demenstrations...am i right...i mean i belive the constitution says people can have marches, protest, and all as long as it is peacful...so if they burn the cross but cause no boldly harm to anyone how is that so wrong...i personaly am not to happy bout that but they can do as they wish with our bill of rights...i mean if they wish to demenstrate let it be so...that is what i have to say

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.