Current Page: 10 of 14
Manipulating the room's environment
Posted by: The Shadow ()
Date: September 24, 2007 02:07AM

Hi Zorro,

Thanks for that info. It is very helpful.

regards,
'shad'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 24, 2007 11:26PM

If anyone is bugging you/pressuring you to do an LGAT, tell them running short on sleep is bad for your health.

[news.yahoo.com]

[b:996cb952b8]
Lack of sleep may be deadly, research shows[/b:996cb952b8]-Reuters

By Ben Hirschler 1 hour, 39 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - People who do not get enough sleep are more than twice as likely to die of heart disease, according to a large British study released on Monday.

Although the reasons are unclear, researchers said lack of sleep appeared to be linked to increased blood pressure, which is known to raise the risk of heart attacks and stroke.

A 17-year analysis of 10,000 government workers showed those who cut their sleeping from seven hours a night to five or less faced a 1.7-fold increased risk in mortality from all causes and more than double the risk of cardiovascular death.

The findings highlight a danger in busy modern lifestyles, Francesco Cappuccio, professor of cardiovascular medicine at the University of Warwick's medical school, told the annual conference of the British Sleep Society in Cambridge.

"A third of the population of the UK and over 40 percent in the U.S. regularly sleep less than five hours a night, so it is not a trivial problem," he said in a telephone interview.

"The current pressures in society to cut out sleep, in order to squeeze in more, may not be a good idea -- particularly if you go below five hours."
Previous research has highlighted the potential health risks of shift work and disrupted sleep. But the study by Cappuccio and colleagues, which was supported by British government and U.S. funding, is the first to link duration of sleep and mortality rates.

The study looked at sleep patterns of participants aged 35-55 years at two points in their lives -- 1985-88 and 1992-93 -- and then tracked their mortality rates until 2004.

The results were adjusted to take account of other possible risk factors such as initial age, sex, smoking and alcohol consumption, body mass index, blood pressure and cholesterol.

The correlation with cardiovascular risk in those who slept less in the 1990s than in the 1980s was clear but, curiously, there was also a higher mortality rate in people who increased their sleeping to more than nine hours.

In this case, however, there was no cardiovascular link and Cappuccio said it was possible that longer sleeping could be related to other health problems such as depression or cancer-related fatigue.

"In terms of prevention, our findings indicate that consiste
ntly sleeping around seven hours per night is optimal for health," he said.

Posted by: bigboyx5 ()
Date: September 25, 2007 11:50AM

At the New Wiener (Mankind Project) weekend I was "persuaded" to attend, we slept in a common area on a cement floor in sleeping bags. At about 02:00 when we went to bed, the room was slightly cold. About an hour later it was so hot everyone was outside their sleeping bags. All the while (about every 20 minutes) someone would slam a door, followed immediately by an cat in heat (sounded artificial). Then Someone would sneek through the room and whisper "men" by people's heads.

The room was still hot when they woke us up, followed immediately by a mandatory 1 minute cold shower.

The best part was when the staff would walk by and fart beside someone's head. My brother in-law went a few years ago as a present from his father, he said this all happened at his weekend as well.

I still laugh when I think about the weekend. I was asked if I liked it by someone and I replied it was the "single biggest mistake in recent memory". But what the hell, for only $650 you get a chance at permanent mental damage, belittled by middleaged men who are scared of how technology is changing the world, and an insight into how the top animal wranglers in the world train their pets to be obedient (stern discipline, followed by food rewards). If anything I now know how to make my dog lsiten better.

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: September 28, 2007 07:10PM

bigboyx5
At the New Wiener (Mankind Project) weekend I was "persuaded" to attend, we slept in a common area on a cement floor in sleeping bags. At about 02:00 when we went to bed, the room was slightly cold. About an hour later it was so hot everyone was outside their sleeping bags. All the while (about every 20 minutes) someone would slam a door, followed immediately by an cat in heat (sounded artificial). Then Someone would sneek through the room and whisper "men" by people's heads.

The room was still hot when they woke us up, followed immediately by a mandatory 1 minute cold shower.

The best part was when the staff would walk by and fart beside someone's head. My brother in-law went a few years ago as a present from his father, he said this all happened at his weekend as well.

I still laugh when I think about the weekend. I was asked if I liked it by someone and I replied it was the "single biggest mistake in recent memory". But what the hell, for only $650 you get a chance at permanent mental damage, belittled by middleaged men who are scared of how technology is changing the world, and an insight into how the top animal wranglers in the world train their pets to be obedient (stern discipline, followed by food rewards). If anything I now know how to make my dog lsiten better.

what I'd like to know is who let those morons out of their cages. Mankind is the last place for minds like that to be running free.

Date: September 30, 2007 02:00AM

I personally would consider the MKP a step back in our society's evolution. Values and dynamics constantly change, it's part of the human experience. You're right quite a few of these individuals should go back into a cage.

Posted by: Jeri442 ()
Date: September 30, 2007 09:44PM

I still laugh when I think about the weekend. I was asked if I liked it by someone and I replied it was the "single biggest mistake in recent memory". But what the hell, for only $650 you get a chance at permanent mental damage, belittled by middle aged men who are scared of how technology is changing the world, and an insight into how the top animal wranglers in the world train their pets to be obedient (stern discipline, followed by food rewards). If anything I now know how to make my dog lsiten better.

I can understand this, although I wished I could laugh. I cry because I got involved with PSI Seminars.

Date: October 01, 2007 10:57PM

I can only imagine what someone who is unprepared for any of these "seminars" goes through. It really bothers me to see some of the damage these groups are allowed to create. I know our local psychological governing body has already heard of the doctor who is recruiting as well as his wife and their involvement in th MKP. Unfortunately without more complaints etc there's little or nothing they can do.

Perhaps laugh was a bad choice of words.

Posted by: DayDreamer ()
Date: October 03, 2007 01:19AM

corboy
What you choose to wear is your own business.

And if your decision to stay clothed was 'noticed'---could you tell us about what this 'noticed' consisted of?

The honest thing would've been to state up front that it would be (or become!) a clothing optional event. That way someone could make an informed decision ahead of time whether its something for them.

(Plenty of us would much prefer to stay clothed either for modesty or
because of deciding to skip shaving the legs, or spider veins. Clothing
is an expression of individuality. Unless you go to a school or into an occupation that requires a particular uniform or dress code, you should be
able to keep your clothes on your back---and not get any static from the others or 'have it noticed.'

Dunno what the age range of participation is at HAI. But...but for anyone going through peri-menopause/menopause and vulnerable to hot flashes, it would be very nasty to find oneself in an excessively heated room, especially if coming in from winter conditions outdoors.

If an event is so desirous of getting folks to disrobe, tell 'em ahead of time, before they arrive and have paid to attend.

Informed decision is a beautiful thing.

Sorry, I haven't been here in a few weeks.

Participation in HAI is for anyone 18 and over. At the workshops I attended, it seemed to be mid-20s or so through the early 60s.

They DO tell you the workshops are always clothing optional. They also say you are "at choice" as to whether you take your clothes off, whether you participate in any given exercise, etc.

However, the being nude thing they do to take away "pretense" and preconceived notions. After all, clothing and jewelry and such can be an indicator of someone's lifestyle or income level or whatever, and they want us to be all equals. Sorry, I can feel equal to another human being and keep my clothes on.

I think they made it warm in there to encourage us to take our clothes off - make it comfortable for the naked ones. I planned in advance and had a tank top and shorts available (even in November, I knew it was likely).

Another thing they do is to take the signs off the restrooms. They are no longer divided by gender.. but open to EVERYONE. That just weirds me RIGHT out, and made me very uncomfortable. It got to where I refused to use the restrooms unless I was in there alone.

Feel free to ask anything you want about HAI, I'll answer what I can (I've only gone to Levels 1 and 2, and there are 7).

Also, there's a thread in this forum called Human Awareness Institute. You can look there too.

Manipulating the room's environment, and Byron Katie- SYDA Siddha Yoga
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 02, 2008 02:14AM

There is some interesting cross-fertilization going on here between LGAT's and more classic Guru cults from the east, like Siddha Yoga SYDA, Muktandanda, Gurumayi, Werner Erhard, est, Landmark Forum..

Byron Katie (The Work)
[forum.culteducation.com]

Re: Manipulating the room's environment
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 06, 2008 10:32PM

Supercharging Manipulation of Room Environment--Fly People Through Time Zones & into Unfamiliar Surroundings

It is time that we supplement our understanding of Manipulating the Room Environment by considering the impact on subjects on being sent
to fly through various time zones to foreign countries before even attending a 'retreat' 'intensive' 'satsang' or whatever it will be called.

If you have subjects able to pay for foreign travel tere may be a new way to enhance what has been discussed on the thread

There are gurus and what appear to be LGATs now doing events in foreign
countries in glamorous sounding locations.

How well has any of us exercised critical thinking when jet lagged, eh? One doesnt think of travelling to a foreign country as mind bending, but hello,
just recall how you've felt when tooling around by plane even, just from LAX to NYC.

Remember too, if you are all bunched together in a hotel when not doing the LGAT, you're more easily monitored. You lack the privacy and access to normal personal rituals that you have at home.

If in a foreign country, you cant even read your hometown newspaper, or get the kind of breakfast you are used to eating.

You're surrounded by compartive strangers, so you cant appear in the hallway with bedhead as you can at home.

And (I know I am pulling for a laugh but this is how radical adding travel can be)--even the TOILETS in a foreign country may be radically different.

Ive heard stories galore about how infamously rough some brands of German TP can be. Imagine the sheer power of being jet lagged by flying from the US to Germany, unfamiliar TP, you cant even wake up your own special way, maybe by smootching your cat or getting a big sloppy kiss and a face full of hair from your dog, you cant sit on the can with your favorite
newspaper, and...if you're in France or Germany, even the toilets may be
quite different.

Ive heard and read that some German toilets have a little ledge or shelf specifically designed so people can study their fecal output before flushing it away.

If you're not used to beginning your day that way, you're going to be 'trippin' before that LGAT even begins...and it has begun, by flying you away from all your habits in the US.

(for more on german toilets read here)

[www.google.com]

Current Page: 10 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.