Hi everyone. a newbie looking for some info.
Posted by: angel2008 ()
Date: April 19, 2008 04:45AM

Hi everyone. I want to know if anyone has heard of Liquid Church in NJ. Im currently out of church and was surfing and came across their site. Red flags went off in my head when I clicked on the membership info page, saying that members must covenant and commit themselves to the church and its vision. Some things they said, were tithe regularly, attend regularly and most alarming, they would be involved in sheparding new members. I have read about the sheparding movement and its destructive tendencies and about the rise of the new sheparding/covenant movement, which has emphasis on signing covenants promising to tithe and get involved. Doesnt this resemble performance based Christianity? I myself study Scriptures on my own and dont need to be sheparded, as I have read so many horror stories about sheparding. It seems to me that they are making the yoke of Christianity harder to bear. I remember Jesus saying that is yoke was light, not heavy. This is the problem I have with Chrisitanity today. We need to have pledges and covenants to beleive in some groups vision. Let me know if you have any info on his group. I do not consider them to be a cult, but I do have reservations and alram bells going off in my head as to how they run church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi everyone. a newbie looking for some info.
Posted by: Transparent ()
Date: April 22, 2008 02:07AM

angel2008
Hi everyone. I want to know if anyone has heard of Liquid Church in NJ. Im currently out of church and was surfing and came across their site. Red flags went off in my head when I clicked on the membership info page, saying that members must covenant and commit themselves to the church and its vision. Some things they said, were tithe regularly, attend regularly and most alarming, they would be involved in sheparding new members. I have read about the sheparding movement and its destructive tendencies and about the rise of the new sheparding/covenant movement, which has emphasis on signing covenants promising to tithe and get involved. Doesnt this resemble performance based Christianity? I myself study Scriptures on my own and dont need to be sheparded, as I have read so many horror stories about sheparding. It seems to me that they are making the yoke of Christianity harder to bear. I remember Jesus saying that is yoke was light, not heavy. This is the problem I have with Chrisitanity today. We need to have pledges and covenants to beleive in some groups vision. Let me know if you have any info on his group. I do not consider them to be a cult, but I do have reservations and alram bells going off in my head as to how they run church.

RED FLAGS ARE TRUE!!! Warning to you and others... do not go to a church that is into this "DISCIPLESHIP" thing... it brings utter chaos and trouble. I was involved in Discipleship and all and it brought disease.... It is called shepherding and yes a part of the shepherding movement. It is scary, having to submit yourself to a man or woman rather than to GOD.... no freakin way!

Posted by: 93sportster ()
Date: April 22, 2008 09:25PM

Transparent:

Though I have never heard of Liquid Chruch, I greatly appreciated what you said in your last sentence. I recently left a BJU ruled church (see some of my posts on this site) where I was demanded to "submit to the pastor and deacons." I can understand the biblical precept and necessity for "submitting" to church leadership, but NOT if it borders on being cult-like. I won't even go into the details about my situation since I don't want to overload this thread. However, I will offer this much. Shepherding is important in the sense that God ordained some men to be pastors (shepherds). The shepherd is to care for his flock, feed his flock, and lead as the Lord would have him to lead. Still, one must be discerning and VERY careful as to what kind of shepherd one submits to. The shepherd could be a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Selah,

Sportster

Date: April 23, 2008 03:11AM

93sportster
Transparent:

Though I have never heard of Liquid Chruch, I greatly appreciated what you said in your last sentence. I recently left a BJU ruled church (see some of my posts on this site) where I was demanded to "submit to the pastor and deacons." I can understand the biblical precept and necessity for "submitting" to church leadership, but NOT if it borders on being cult-like. I won't even go into the details about my situation since I don't want to overload this thread. However, I will offer this much. Shepherding is important in the sense that God ordained some men to be pastors (shepherds). The shepherd is to care for his flock, feed his flock, and lead as the Lord would have him to lead. Still, one must be discerning and VERY careful as to what kind of shepherd one submits to. The shepherd could be a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Selah,

Sportster

Thanks Sportster... very true what you said

Posted by: Coolhermit ()
Date: May 04, 2008 04:12AM

I would hazard NEVER give over your autonomy to another person. Only you know your path. Only you have walked your walk.

Resist the pirates who want to take over the ship of your life.

Date: May 06, 2008 03:51AM

Coolhermit
I would hazard NEVER give over your autonomy to another person. Only you know your path. Only you have walked your walk.

Resist the pirates who want to take over the ship of your life.

Yes Yes! Very True.... They are Pirates....It is a very scary idea that there are ppl out there who want to control... People please take warning.... I was involved in a church that practiced that heavily.... no good is all i can say. We are all adults and we all have brains that God gave us and God speaks to each and every one of us... we don't need the MAN or WOMAN to tell us what car to buy, where to eat and do business at...... and so forth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.