Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Information on "Art of Living" ?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 14, 2006 05:11AM

shakti:

This thread is about "Art of Living."

Please stay within topics of threads.

Again, this site is not about conspiracy theories.

I have received no information to indicate any government connection with Art of Living. Instead, it is a guru group led by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and composed of his followers/disciples.

That is all.

Note the previously posted links for background information.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Information on "Art of Living" ?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 12, 2009 08:40PM

A most interesting discussion of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and his involvement with the Bharata Janatiya Party which itself is a Hindu Fundamentalist group that has been involved in mob violence.

All too often, gurus who vacuum up US dollars and Euros are using those funds to establish themselves back home in India as patrons of political parties whose methods, and ideologies many Westerners, especially women, would find troubling at the least and vile at worst.

But a gurus involvement in the rougher forms of Indian politics is often kept quiet and hushed up when they are cooing and singing love ditties to their Western devotees.

A very few paise donated to start a few clinics is used by such gurus to deflect any criticism from Westerners, while much, much more of that money is used to enrich that gurus family or purchase politicians by the gross

Sri Ravi Shankar calls to fight terrorism

[mangalorean.com]

Article

By Team Mangalorean, Mangalore
Photographs: Rajesh Shetty

MANGALORE, January 12, 2009: The Akhila Bharata Vidyarthi Parishat (ABVP) today organised a rally and a public meeting against the growth of terrorism. On this occasion over 20,000 people took an oath to put down terrorism and help the country to fight terrorism.

Addressing the meeting after launching of a month-long campaign, organised by the Department of Higher Education and Directorate of Collegiate Education here, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (of art of living fame) said terrorism had become a curse on the modern society and should be put down by everybody who loves peace and harmony. He said it was a state of mind that forces the people to take up terrorism. Those minds could be diverted towards better avenues in life.

Liberal attitude of India had been misused and misinterpreted by nations like Pakistan, he said, adding there was an urgent need for putting a limit to such liberty by the government in the best interest of the country. With the support of intellectuals supporting terrorists, the pen had also become another terror along with gun, threatening the integrity and sovereignty of the nation, he opined.

''The youth be bold and have enough courage not only to fight against growing terrorism in different parts of the country but also identify terrorists in and around their area and inform the security agencies such as police and intelligence without delay. This would help the security agencies to take swift actions and curb the terrorism,'' he added.

Home minister of Karnataka Dr. V.S. Acharya on this occasion stated that those who succumb to terror tactics will be considered weak, he appealed every Indian to stand up against terrorism and try to vanquish all kinds of terrorism. Sometime he said terror could be countered by terror tactics and there are several instances when terrorists were rooted out by using terror tactics against them.

State minister for Higher education Arvind Limbavali speaking on this occasion stated that the ABVP had always fought against all kinds of terrorism and social maladies but many times it had to take firm decisions and stern actions which has been mistaken as extreme steps, but in the long run everybody has understood that action taken by the ABVP was just right and was needed at that time.

State BJP President D.V. Sadananada Gowda recalled the sacrifices made by the national leaders and said students should emulate such sacrifices and try to instill a sense of belonging to the nation. One of the help that the country needs in this time was its help to fight terrorism he added.

A surprise guest on this occasion was MLA of Ullal Mr. U.T. Khader who despite being opposed to the principles of ABVP had come there to express his solidarity towards the fight against terrorism.

The comments are of special interest

Pramod Chavhan-9850394594, India Feb 16, 2009
Only one organisation can change the wohole world,..... that is..... Art of Living (Guruji)

Jaigurdev

Sushil B, USA Feb 13, 2009
Sri Sri is a great human being. I do believe that what he said about Pakistan is being mis-interpreted OR at best, it was not articulated in a way that he normally does. In any event, one must look at the entire history of the man and that should tell us where he stands and he always stood by the side of truth and love. I do not believe that has changed and will ever change.

As for the BJP/ABVP etc - their actions in general (Sadhvi case, preferring one religion over other etc) in the past have been wrong enough to create doubts in the minds of minority communities in India. Unfortunately the opposite parties have not been fair either - its a dirty politics that they engage in for votes and I do not hold hope that they will change - since they are after power and power comes through votes.

Let us focus on who can change the world - and that is Sri Sri. He has done it and if someone can have a positive impact in Iraq, I have no doubt that he can have impact in India and Pakistan and people there...forget the politicians - very few of them can command respect from me...so i will not talk about them. I will say that we should get Sri Sri to help us mend fences between india and pakistan thougth - he has the power to do it...

Abdulla Madumoole, Abu Dhabi, UAE Jan 21, 2009
Dear Shomit,

Definitely I agree that Sri Sri's intention was not disturbing peace, instead promoting peace. I too admire him and respect him but on certain issues I have difference of opinion.

Thank you very much Shomit for your maturity.

Shomit, India Jan 19, 2009
Dear Abdulla Madumoole,

I appreciate Ur piece of writing, it depicts a Gentleman`s way of communication.

Even I don`t expect these from Sri Sri`s side. Thus, I need a clarification too.

Even `m not in favour of ABVP on many issues. However, Sri Sri`s teaching definitely helps me a lot, but it does`nt mean that I`ll get blind.

I respect him a lot & I hope his intention was not to disturb peace, instead to promote the same. Definitely, I`l clarify & come back to you.

Thank You

Abdulla Madumoole, UAE Jan 18, 2009
Dear Shomit,

I sincerely appreciate your gentlemanly comments and note it with all humility.

I feel a clarification is required from me regarding Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. First of all, I got irritated to note that Sri Sri, an international peace preacher, attended a meeting organized by known communal outfits. You may question the technicality, but the truth is it was organized by the communal outfits only. Then in the meeting look at his speech:

"Liberal attitude of India had been misused and misinterpreted by nations like Pakistan, he said, adding there was an urgent need for putting a limit to such liberty by the government in the best interest of the country. With the support of intellectuals supporting terrorists, the pen had also become another terror along with gun, threatening the integrity and sovereignty of the nation, he opined".

If you and I speak like that it is understandable but a person of Sri's reputation for peace and love should not bring geographical barriers in between. That too, when his name is being mentioned for Nobel peace prize, if you are aware of it.

This is not the first time, he has done this kind of unwanted misadventure earlier also. If you remember, soon after Gujarat incidence in 2002, he hurriedly authored a booklet comparing Hinduism and Islam and distributed copies in relief camps. This poured ghee on the burning fire instead of putting off the fire. In the book he went to such an extent that he even called Kaba in Macca as a Shiva lingham and Ramadhan as Ramadhyaan. Was it required?

I have great respect for him but after all he is also a human being, I cannot personify him. When a person starts showing the signs of intellectual weakness, my admiration for him starts weakening. I didn’t intend to hurt anyone’s feelings, definitely not yours.

Shomit, India Jan 17, 2009
Dear Abdulla Madumoole,

Its nice that you had expressed your views openly. But please before giving an advice to a person try to grab as much information as possible about him or her in relation to the issue on which the advice is based. Sri Sri`s Ravishankar`s teaching is not confined to any particular country. Infact, his messages are globally applicable.

You can just go through his writings/messsages on terrorism, he had never told to uproot terrorism through violence. Infact, only through love and inner understanding one can do so.

Terrorists too are human but are grossly misled, lacking a right direction in life. This is what he says. Global love & peace marks the central principles of his teaching.

Its nice that you had also appreciated the same.

Tathagata Gowda, India Jan 14, 2009
We need a massive mass movement against terrorism. Great beginning by Sri Sri and well planned programme by Karnataka Govt.

We have to take it to the people to finish off terrorism.

As KPS Gill once state- best way to handle terror is to make it an election issue (Mudda). Let people decide.

Tathagata Gowda, India Jan 14, 2009
So, Mr Mark- the 'interest' of the country means unfettered access to relgious conversion and terrorism?

Which country you belong? India, or USA?

Smell coffee Sir before its too late. No sane society will allow organized religious conversion having political agenda. It has to be stopped in India, sooner or later.

Srikkanth, India Jan 14, 2009
BJP at present is the only patriotic party. All other parties are opportunisistic ready to compromise or even pledge the security of their motherland for sake of kursi. KUdos to BJP, RSS, ABVP the true torch bearers of Indian unity and integrity.

Abdulla Madumoole, Abu Dhabi, UAE Jan 14, 2009
Dear Mr.Kiran,

First of all, I don’t have any objection if you call me uneducated because I consider myself as a student till now, though I have many Indian and American professional qualifications. I wonder, in spite of being educated, you could not understand my arguments and presumed certain things out of your wild imaginations or because of pre-conceived notions. Please read my comments again, word by word, without any prejudice and then tell me how you ever could presume that I hate Hindus. It is very derogatory and ill spirited to make such a comment. To set the things right, let me put again in simple words what I said earlier:

1. I do not like the principles, policies and activities of RSS/BJP & associates but Hindus I like most.
2. BJP and its outfits are against peaceful co-existence in India and hence I hate them.
3. I was born and brought up in a Hindu surrounding, educated in Hindu schools and colleges, my intimate friends are still Hindus and hence I am more comfortable with Hindus than anybody else till today. I never spoke anything against Hindus and I cannot, I will not.

Now, why I was opposing ABVP/BJP this time was because of their political agenda behind organizing anti-terrorism rallies and functions. When the program was launched by the Department of Higher Education and Dept. of Collegiate Education of Govt. of Karnataka, why it should be under the banner of ABVP, a known student wing of BJP? Is it not a political agenda and preparation for the coming MP election? I cannot close my eyes when things are very obvious and people are being duped openly in the day light.

Regarding Malegoan issue, if Congress government is keeping quiet, do not ask me, please go and ask them why they are sitting quiet. I raised the Malegoan issue because of its close connectivity with the BJP/RSS and just to prove that BJP is not a saint either. Regarding linking me with Antulay supporters, I don’t think it is worth any response.

Regarding economic development, please read my comments again. I said economic development comes only next to peace and harmony, this doesn’t mean that I don’t want economic development. Economic development makes sense only if there is peace and harmony in the society.

Also note that I never supported any Muslim terrorists. Whether terrorism or violence is done by Anjuman group, SIMI, LeT or RSS, all are same, all are equally condemnable. There is no religion for terrorism.

Finally, Mr.Kiran, I never lived in Kudroli or any such areas but I know some people from Kudroli who are well known to me. Even though they are not educated to your level, they are very gentlemanly, humble and at the same time very sophisticated. Do you think passing such a uncivilized comment is magnanimity of educated class?

Mr Mr Mark, USA Jan 13, 2009
It is important to emphasize double Sri ravi shankar's link to the RSS/BJP. One can be sure when a RSS/BJP member raises the issue of terrorism or conversion they do not have the country's interest at heart.

Lancelot Tauro, Qatar Jan 13, 2009
Terrorism and Communalism both are two sides of a coin is very dangerous to the Nation. Every Indian citizen should fight back against these two TC.

Kiran, UAE Jan 13, 2009
Abdulla, this shows your hatred towards Hindus and not only RSS or VHP. You just want to shed your hatred by saying you had grown in a Hindu surrounding. Even i have grown in the surrounding of Hindus, but i have seen they never discriminate people from other religions. The way you have been commenting so harshly, it looks like you were grown either in the interiors of Kudroli or Bunder area and hardly had any education. Have you ever tried walking alone in those areas, even now these areas are so scary and dangerous. you seemed to have forgotten blasts done by the Anjuman group in our churches in Mysore and other places and you might still blaming rss for it. Its obious you say development is not your first priority, then why did you go to the gulf which is already a developed nation and sit there comfortably and comment from there.

Regarding Malegoan blasts, its congress govt and why are they keeping silent regarding the case now? iam sure u might be a supporter of one of those disgraced politicians whose comments made the entire country feel ashamed regarding karkare's death. i have studied in aloysius and never seen anybody comment about anybody's religion, even if he is from NSUI or ABVP. The hatred starts when people like you comment blindly and infact instigates it further. Your comments seriously made me write this comment for the first time.

Nagendra Shenoy, India Jan 13, 2009
Nice gesture from U T Khader. Well done UT. If all our leaders keep their political ideologies and differences aside and join hands to curb terrorism and other prevailing social eveils, it would be a result orienting approach, according to me!

BTW, yesterday was Swami Vivekananda's birthday i.e. Youth Day. I dont find that mentioned anywere in the article

Our knowledgeable EYTians too have missed it perhaps! I remembered it till the time I mentioned one his statements 2 days back :-(

Abdulla Madumoole, Abu Dhabi, UAE Jan 13, 2009
Dear R.Pai,

Since your response was directly aimed at me, I would like to clarify certain things. Your observation that I cannot control my hatred towards Sangh Parivar/RSS/BJP is absolutely correct. I do not have any hesitation to say that I don’t have any love left for them. I hate them so much because they have terrorized the minorities of India and in turn have succeeded in creating so many minority terrorists in India. They have poisoned the innocent minds of India, they have completely destroyed the secular fabric of India. They do not love India at all, only they pretend. Do not give example of Modi and the economic development they have achieved in Gujarat, for me economic development comes only next to peace and harmony.
Why I have highlighted Malegoan issue is because of its close links with BJP or its affiliated outfits who always preach anti-terrorism. If it was done by any isolated Hindu , I wouldn’t have even bothered to look at the story. As you pointed out , I neither look everything from religious point of view nor I have any political affiliations. Do not presume that since I oppose BJP , I am a natural supporter of Congress. To tell a bit about me, when I was studying in Bangalore during early nineties, some BJP leaders had even pressurized me to take the primary membership of BJP.
Having proclaimed my hatred towards BJP/RSS/etc, let me clarify that I hate only their principles, policies and their activities. Don’t ever presume that I hate Hindus, instead I love Hindus more than people of any other religion in India because I am more comfortable with Hindus. I was born and brought up in a Hindu surrounding, Hindu culture. I have studied in Hindu schools and colleges, stayed in a gurukula in Ujire for three years, have even worked as volunteer in Sri Dharmasthala on many vocations. Till today all of my intimate friends are Hindus.
My piece of advice to you is try to look and analyze both the sides of a coin.

R.Pai, USA Jan 13, 2009
Two quick observations after reading the report and some of the responses:

1. UT Khader's appearance: First of all, it was a good decision. One should be engaged in issue-based politics, not party based. This is very much needed.

2. Repeated references to Melagoan case by some while they can't seem to control their hatred towards Sangh Parivar/RSS/BJP. It goes onto show how certain elements in our society look at every thing purely based on their religion/party. Melagoan case will go on and the culprits will be punished. But, to make it bigger than other terrorist acts on our country is very dishonest and pathetic.

I.L. Mathias, India Jan 13, 2009
Acharyaji, for once I am ready to listen to you, I am ready to stand up against terror of the Hindu Sangh Parivar.
Sri Ravi Shanker may please change from "art of living" to "art of surviving"

Abdulla Madumoole, Abu Dhabi, UAE Jan 13, 2009
Every one should join hands to fight against terrorism and the MLA Khader’s attitude in attending anti-terrorism function organized by ABVP is really commendable. I appreciate ABVP for organizing such a rally and function provided their intention is purely fighting terrorism. But I sincerely doubt their intentions considering their past actions and for me it looks like a political rally keeping in mind the forth coming MP elections to swing the public mood in favor of BJP.
BJP doesn’t have any moral right to talk about fight against terrorism, they have openly supported terrorism in the recent past. In Malegaon case, they opposed Hemant Karkare till his death, argued in favor of Sadhvi, Purohit and others blindly. For them definition of terror is “ terror is terror only if it is done by Muslims”. Yesterday police uncovered the truth behind Hubli court blast which was originally blamed on LeT and other Muslims, now they have arrested criminals who had close nexus with Sri Ram Sene leader Pramod Muthalik. See Home Minister Acharya’s intellectual statement yesterday: “Sometime terror could be countered by terror tactics and there are several instances when terrorists were rooted out by using terror tactics against them”!!! Not sometimes, these days every time BJP and its connected outfits have adopted this approach not only to fight terrorism but also to generate terrorism in India. Mr.Home Minister, first come out clean with Padmapriya murder case in your backyard and dismantle the protection you have given to your friend Raghupathi Bhat. Till then, at least please don’t talk of anti-terrorism fight, it looks very awkward.
I would like to give a piece of advice to the global peace-love preacher Shri Ravishankar also. Love doesn’t have any geographical border, do not restrict your love to only Indian territory. Take a clue from Kuvempu’s “vishwa manava” concept and it will be helpful to preach universal peace and love. Also, it would be more meaningful if you preach to fight terrorism through peace and love.

JDas, India Jan 12, 2009
Fighting Terrorism seems to be the new mantra to gain popularity. Most of the outfits who conduct these rallies had severely crirticised the Maharashtra ATS for getting to the root of Malegaon blasts. Codemn terrorism of all types and do not forget LTTE, Naxals are also threats whom people especially in mangalore should be cautious about. because this is the most suitable place for them to hide.

Siva, USA Jan 12, 2009
I really appreciate Mr. UT Khader's approach. The opposition or support should be issue based. No one in the world is completely black or white. World is grey, shades of black and white may differ.

It requires great courage and wisdom to take such approach. You have done the right thing Mr. Khader. I wish all politicians follow this principle. I wish BJP had supported UPA on Nuclear issue - but they opposed it just for the sake of opposing!!

Re: Information on "Art of Living" ?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 09, 2009 10:28PM

If any readers have friends or relatives in this part of India, let us know if this report sounds accurate or not.

Dude Beggars

[www.mid-day.com]

Dude beggars
By: Team Midday Date: 2009-08-04 Place: Bangalore

Men and women trying to camouflage their affluent breeding and chic clothes are going about begging in south Bangalore. People at signals were startled yesterday to find smart, English-speaking men and women seeking alms. The beggars, with grime smeared on their faces, looked like characters out of a college play. Motorists, shoppers, and pedestrians dropped small change into their hands, but continued to gape. The beggars bought food with the money they had earned from begging, and ate in public.

MiD DAY discovered that they were disciples of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, who runs the Art of Living spiritual movement from his headquarters on Kanakapura.

Thumbs up: The beggars at BTM Layout had tried to mess up their clean clothes with grime. They posed for MiD DAY but wouldn't tell us who they were. pics\Ramesh HS

The beggars, it turned out, were well-bred professionals told by their instructors to go "lose the ego" by begging. "Our areas are frequented by educated beggars from Sri Sri's ashram," said a resident of BTM Layout.

"They come in batches, beg, and feed themselves." South Bangalore extensions such as BTM Layout, Jayanagar and Banashankari are often flooded with dude beggars wearing Nike tracksuits. Disciples who register for some personality development courses are put through the routine of begging, said a source. They are asked to beg so that they can "conquer" their self and rid themselves of inhibitions. "It's an exercise that works on Buddhist principles, which emphasise sacrificing the ego," said an AoL volunteer.

Till 3 pm

STYLE GURU: The beggar MiD DAY tracked was clearly star-struck, and wore his hair like his guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (above)

The beggars we spoke to shared their email IDs with us. They were fluent in English and Hindi, but refused to talk about their act.

"Don't ask us anything," said a beggar. "Our exercise ends by 3 pm today. We will be able to talk about it only after August 12."

Such beggars are common on buses on Kanakapura Road, especially between south Bangalore extensions and the ashram.

"We were astonished to see them," said Chandru, a bakery owner in BTM Layout. "They are so cultured they don't seem like beggars."

Cops' angle

Begging is illegal and the dude beggars can be rounded up.

"They haven't taken any special permission from us," said D Sudhakar, Karnataka's social welfare minister. "Such permission can't be given either."

AoL's public relations machinery, always eager with press notes about the guru, clammed up when MiD DAY sought a reaction for this story.

"We can't comment... most teachers are travelling and Sri Sri Ravishankar is on a temple tour in Tamil Nadu," said Sham, an AoL volunteer.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.