Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"The Hugging Saint" Launches Attack Site Against Ex-Devotees & Critics
Posted by: cothsee ()
Date: June 26, 2009 09:45PM

I apologize. This was previously posted in the wrong thread.

Those connected to the religious group which follows Amma, also known as "the hugging saint", recently launched a website attacking her critics and ex-devotees.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 26, 2009 – The new website compiles information on the businesses, websites, and personal lives of critics and ex-devotees. The information has been painstakingly collected from the Internet and compiled on the website in an attempt to harass and intimidate those who may choose to leave the group or voice a contrary opinion.

The website, ironically called "Cult Of The Hugging Saint Exposed" appears to be run by representatives or devotees of the hugging saint, also known as Amma or Mata Amritanandamayi. The site is made up of character assassinations on those who have been critical of Ammachi as well as those who have left the group. Countless hours have gone into information gathering in order to attack the character of those who have been outspoken critics of Amma or her organization. The website includes poetry written by ex-devotees, articles written by critics, links to their businesses, and annotated lists of irrelevant personal information intended purely to harass critics and ex-devotees of the hugging saint.

“It’s chilling.” said an ex-devotee who is one of the websites targets, “I left the group many years ago and now they are posting photos of me when I was young and defunct websites that I ran over ten years ago as well as poetry I wrote when I was part of the group. I have been a victim of Internet stalking recently, and I feel like I am living it all over again. The amount of time this group has put into compiling information on me is very frightening. This website illustrates why so many are afraid to leave, because this is what will happen to them.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "The Hugging Saint" Launches Attack Site Against Ex-Devotees & Critics
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: June 27, 2009 09:28PM

Here is a URL to the earlier Amma thread.

That URL will give you material from the Indian media about Amma's ties to the Hindu fundamentalist movement and its stink of violence.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Any Westerner interested in an Indian guru needs to study the media coverage by the Indian press concerning their guru. And, these days, much of that coverage is readily available online, and in English.

For in too many cases, the commercial gurus who arrive from India give a sweet message of nonviolent devotionalism and love to Westerners but say nothing about their patterns of political patronage in India. Just sing a few kirtans for the nice Westerners.

After collecting basketfuls of dollars and Euros, the guru and the accountants all too often route that back toIndia, spent a little bit on charity clinics and schools, making very sure to get maximum publicity for this.

Any hint that the guru is living a greedy or dishonest life and the cry goes up "He she supports clinics and schools!!'

But in most cases, the guru could have spent very much MORE money to support yet more good causes.

Two, India is poor and people in the neighborhood are so desperate to have even a tiny bit of improvement that their support can be purchased. The people will say,

'Guruji is so generous to us. Guruji built us a school.'

They will never dare say,

They will never say, 'The guru built us one school, yes, but that is just for show, to appease nosy journalists and shame critics into silence. Lots of photographers came in the day the school was dedicated.

" But that guru could have built us 200 schools and a college from the money coming in from rich ferangi. Yes, the guru built us just one school, yet spent hundreds of thousands of rupees on his or her niece's wedding and dowry, and built himself a marble mansion--and buys the loyalty of politicians. If we dare say anything, we must whisper it, or we risk being beaten up'.

This is rarely said.

One US dollar or Euro has vast purchasing power when coverted to rupees. Just check each days rate of exchange and you'll see this for yourself.

Also, read "Western Converts as Trophies for Indian Gurus'

There are multitudes of wanna be gurus in India.

But the ones who go to the West and collect a retinue of pale face Westerners arrive home to India with much greater prestige, precisely because they have a bunch of Americans and Brits grovelling at their feet.

Sophisticated Indians are deeply amused to see ferangi (especially Americans, Brits and Europeans) wearing white homespun robes, blissfully sitting in the dirt like peasants, waiting in line for hours like beggars hoping for a kind world from the maharaja or maharani, and grovelling like peasants at the feet of an Indian whom the onlookers know had no special spiritual attainment when younger.

But they'll not say this to the grovelling devotees. The devotees bring in too much money to the local economy. The Indians just think we are pathetic to allow ourselves to be cozened and that we are so thick and stupid that we let ourselves be treated in a manner that is considered degrading in an Indian context,and that we are so stupid we do not even know the guru has contempt for us and is treating us like toilet paper.

When a woman who has less spiritual attainment than a cleaning lady gets away with this, it gives her prestige when she returns to India..a prestige she did not have before she left India.

Finally, if any Indian shows up here and dares to say I have no right to say such things, my reply is this:

As a US citizen, I do have the right, by the First Amendment of the US Consitution, to say exactly this.

Amma is making her millions from Americans--not only directly, but indirectly.

Two, in the US, she is a tax exempt spiritual non profit. So, she does not pay the taxes that ordinary citizens do. She can amass wealth at a faster rate.

Many of her devotees work for her for free, so she doenst pay salaries.

Amma makes money indirectly from non devotees. Because the non devotees who DO pay thier taxes indirectly support Amma, who does not. And Amma's devotees, no matter how ignorant they are of her activities in India need to face that their lovingly donated money is being routed to India to support politicans whose agendas they may not agree with, as well as the stick wielding goondas who ran riot on Green Avenue in Delhi and who made scary phone calls to critical journalists in Kerela--trying to deny them the free speech they enjoy on paper via Indian law.

And the plumbing and electricity grids that support her ashram in Danville California are supported by local and state taxes that citizens have to pay.

So if Amma wants our American money, in return she has to deal with American First Amendment rights to open speech, which are enjoyed by the tax payihg peasants who
indirectly support her.

And Amma has benefitted from the generosity of an American democracy that allows her to live like a feudal queen.

If you want our money, youd better learn to live with our open speech. Lathi wielding goondas are easy to hire in India but one cannot get away with that kind of dirty behavior in the United States.

Which, among other reasons, is why so many wonderful Indians have chosen to emigrate here with their families--they want a safer and more dignified life, protected by laws and insitutions that are enforced, with a fairness that is not the case in India.

A nation so generous that it even, like a suffering dog allows Amma and gurus like her to feed on us like so many fat fleas.

At least a dog can be permitted to scratch hard at itself when the fleas bite too hard.

We are allowed to speak up if a guru bleeds us too agressively.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2009 09:58PM by corboy.

Posted by: cothsee ()
Date: June 27, 2009 10:04PM

Corby everything you have written is true. Would you mind if I posted (with attribution, of course) the text you have written starting "There are multitudes of wanna be gurus in India." to the examma forum. It is a private forum for "recovering" Amma devotees. I just joined the forum to share the infos I have on my blog at : [cult-of-the-hugging-saint-exposed-exp.blogspot.com]

Please let me know if I may. It makes many good points esp. regarding this current issue of the Amma devotees trying to censor free speech.

Date: June 28, 2009 08:54PM

Dear Cothsee, please feel free to post this on the ex-amma forum.

And whatever I said... feel free to print it. Amma is benefitting from US democracy and its system of trustfully and generously giving tax exemption to spiritual projects.

Those who DO pay their taxes are indirectly subsidizing her--and the pattern of violence and political patronage she exercises in India.

Those who do give Amma money directly are subsidizing her bad karma in India and are subsidizing it directly. Ignorance is no excuse.

When someone exploits US democracy to run a personal feudal monarchy, and has a method of training US citizens to think like peasants while retaining ability to earn big money in a post modern capitalistic society, that needs to be discussed.

Again, if Amma and other gurus want our US democratic dollars and our US democratic tax exemption, they have to accept US open speech and scrutiny of thier activities as part of the deal.

Feel free to quote this if you like.

This URL gives a fuller description of how Western converts bring prestige to a formerly obscure, Indian born guru. The first two who profited from this were Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and Srila Prabhupada.

These days the big profiteers who benefit from having ferengi in their retinues are Amma, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (a fake who learned his trucks from Maharishi, giggles like him, is greedy like him, keeps people waiting in the most insulting manner, and also patronizes the Hindu fundamentalists)...and the dude who started Isha yoga and promotes himself with adverts reading 'Spend an Evening With a Mystic'.

FYI Marketing is anti mystical. Agehanhanda Bharati wrote that the root word for mystic is the greek word, 'mysthai' meaning 'to be silent'.

Western Converts as Trophies for Indian Gurus or a Wee Lecture on Pizza Effect

All the items I found were already available on Google.

A very good research strategy for your forum members would be to study the
Indian news media for information about Amma's political patronage system and to
contact journalists who work for the publications that have been brave enough to
expose what has been going on.

Good information tends to disappear from the web, so any time you find it, copy it.

Also, if you want to do a snap shot of a computer screen displaying information,
get what you want situated in the screen.

Next, look at the cluster of buttons on the right hand side of your keyboard, above the
'insert' and 'delete' keys.

You should find one that reads 'print screen'

If you hit 'print screen' nothing seems to happen.

But, if you create a new Word document and then hit 'paste', you will see a snapshot
of the computer screen image on your Word Document and you have a record of what
you found.

This is useful protocol in the event of later disputes.

Am glad to be of service, anytime.

C

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 09:04PM by corboy.

Posted by: whirlingdevata ()
Date: June 29, 2009 12:00AM

"COTHSEE"! wrote:
“It’s chilling.” said an ex-devotee who is one of the websites targets, “I left the group many years ago and now they are posting photos of me when I was young and defunct websites that I ran over ten years ago as well as poetry I wrote when I was part of the group. I have been a victim of Internet stalking recently, and I feel like I am living it all over again. The amount of time this group has put into compiling information on me is very frightening. This website illustrates why so many are afraid to leave, because this is what will happen to them.”

After careful review of the [cult-of-the-hugging-saint-exposed.blogspot.com] site, I think THIS "Cothsee" is mandrakeghost - Meen Svara - Meenas Magickals hiding behind yet another psuedo-identity!

Give it up "Meena" -- you've been outed in too many places by too many people!

Date: June 29, 2009 09:40PM

However, if you go and read on the Anti Amma blog

[cult-of-the-hugging-saint-exposed-exp.blogspot.com]

If you scroll down you will find a citation for a participant report by a person who visited an Amma event.

www.feelgoodgirl.com

That article can be found on another site, feelgoodgirl.com

The author puts a psychic interpretation on what she observed and felt.

But much of what she describes can be accounted for by findings from social psychology. Just a few excerpts have been quoted from the article. Interested readers
can look at the full article here:

[www.feelgoodgirl.com]

The event is set up to be competitve. First time visitors are given stickers and told they should feel free to shove to the head of the line.

Trying to go see Amma is like trying to get on the hot new ride at Disneyland. You need to get special tickets, called tokens. You are herded through various lines by volunteers wearing all white, with red scarves around their necks. You are plastered with a sticker to let people know that you are a new huggee. You are told that the sticker is your pass to "push your way through" to the front of the line when it comes time to get your hug.

We got there around 7 pm. The event started at 8. After wandering through a confusing maze of people, we finally sat down and got our tokens. Group R3.

The group number meant that when our number was announced, we were to dash upstairs (Corboy emphasis) and get in line just to enter the main hall. Once inside, we were supposed to get into another line. (Apparently, this is where the "push and shove your way to Amma ahead of people who've seen her before" instruction would be useful.)

This sets visitors up to crave a scarce resource and act like desperate refugees fighting over scraps of food. No guru capable of teaching spirituality would EVER create such a competitive atmosphere where the afflictive emotions of greed, hate and illusion run riot.

And the visitors reported that so many people were there that it looked to be about 11 pm before they'd get hugged.

This sounds like a very well orchestrated set up that has some of the features of an LGAT.

We realized early on, based on the rate the groups were being called, that we might be there all night. (We thought it'd only be a few hours at first.)

It was already 9 pm and they'd only gotten to group B5. We were just sitting on uncomfortable chairs out on a patio, watching Amma, wearing a ridiculously over the top silver crown, hug people on a screen as the numbers slowly rolled by.

A new age guy who sat in front of us, hearing our conversation about whether Amma takes a break or not, turned back to us and with a breathless, starry voice, told us that Amma did not take breaks and in fact would go straight through to 11 am. "It's so amazing that she can do that," he sighed.

We thought this did sound impressive, but worried that we would, indeed, be stuck there until 11 am. So there was much debate over how long we'd stay before giving the Amma experience the heave-ho.

My mother had a different term for such things.

She would have termed it a cattle call.

Anything that turns seeking persons into stampeding cattle is anti spiriutal.

Especially when set up to orchestrate competation for a scarce "resource" (hug)
that you can get for free from someone who loves you as you are, and who wont
charge money for it or make you f***ing wait until long past your bed time.

Note: anyone who has genetic susceptiblity for major mental illnesses that are triggered
by stress or by disrupting one's sleep rhythms (eg bipolar) could risk destabilizing and precipitating an episode by going to an event like this.

DISCLAIMER

(Note: the person who runs the feelgood site offers various other services. That I quote from an article posted on the site does NOT mean that I necessarily endorse or recommend such services.

Corboy's standing advice in all such matters is to get assistance from a person who is trained and licensed to practice in their area of expertise. This may not guarantee competablity or even competance,but at least means the person has accepted legal accountablity for his or her work.)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 10:09PM by corboy.

Date: June 29, 2009 10:03PM

Indian Guru Research--Continuing Education Resource

There is a reason why Indian export gurus keep coming here. Look at the conversion rates.

(As in currency, not human beings)

This website gives a handy table by which to see the conversion rate of one currency vs another. (including gold)

[www.xe.com]

As of today:

1.00 USD = 48.0004 INR

US dollar= Indian Rupee

and

1.00 EUR = 67.5732 INR

Euro = Indian Rupee

The thing about Amma is that her American devotees are so utterly sweet and nice that disagreeing with them or daring to show them material from the Indian press that discloses the unsavory side of Amma and her devotees in India--to think of shattering the innocence of American devotees by putting this unsweet but truthful information in front of them makes a person feel as though he or she is kicking a puppy.

There are a couple of businesses in a city near where I live whose proprietors are totally into Amma.

They are cheerful and wave to you, say hello if you walk past their store, even if you never go in to buy anything.

They have nice things, are the sweetest people you'd ever meet and what they sell is affordable and they even offer discounts to single mothers and senior citizens.

But they have Amma fliers in the window and in the store and post schedules for her upcoming appearances.

It is painful in the extreme to associate this niceness with the material published in the Indian press and to read how neighbors of an ashram on Green Street, Delhi and the report that at least one journalists in Kerela was targeted for an intimidation campaign. (see text of material published earlier on this thread)

But...thats the bias that is exploited.

So many people are depressed, scared, want to feel cared for want to feel soothed and comforted.

And that is the preference that many export gurus exploit.

One of the most painful things about adulthood is facing that some humans are capable of manifesting sweetness and light in public and show an unpleasant side of themselves behind closed doors.

We have known or heard of families that give fantastic parties, and years later the sons and daughters grow up and reveal that as children their charming parents beat them up in private.

Some gurus will be all charm, sweetness and light in the lands of Dollars, Euros and democratic tax exemption for spiriutal projects.

In India, the land of rupees, the same guru will patronize dirty politicians and with a wink and nod encourage devotees to ran riot and terrorize neighbors who dare complain.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 10:19PM by corboy.

Posted by: Joe108 ()
Date: June 30, 2009 02:33AM

Apparently, the agendas of "Cothsee" seem to be the suppression of other's freedom of speech and the suppression of relevant information about the critics of Mata Amritanandamayi (aka "Amma" or the "Hugging Saint").

For those concerned, the blog that "Cothsee" takes issue with (whose link she failed to provide) is located at http://cult-of-the-hugging-saint-exposed.blogspot.com/ (which has been archived on the saisathyasai domain). "Cothsee's" blog specifically attacks me (Gerald 'Joe' Moreno) as an "internet terrorist". Since this forum allowed "Cothsee" to post a link that attacks me, then I see no reason why I cannot provide a response to her attack.

It would seem that "Cothsee" does not want others to know that the prime critics cited on the former "Cult Of The Hugging Saint" domain (i.e., Michelle Walsh, Bronte Baxter and Guruphiliac Jody Radzik) are all true believers and superstitionists. For example, Michelle Walsh is a widely self-professed and widely self-solicited (with verifiable references and sources) psychic medium, witch, spell caster, pet psychic and clairvoyant. Bronte Baxter is a widely self-professed believer (with verifiable references and sources) in David Icke, the Illuminati, the Global Elite, fairies, astral entities and shape-shifting aliens from the Draco constellation. Jody Radzik is a widely self-professed (with verifiable references and sources) promoter of ecstasy, psychedelic drugs and raves. Jody Radzik also claimed he had a guru, is self-realized, is Kali Ma's "sex slave" and is so identified with Kali's archetype, he acts it out in drag (which was published twice by Jody himself on the non-duality.com domain!

These are referenced and verifiable facts. Not defamations. Not untruths. Not conspiracies.

Critic's are perfectly entitled to their freedom of speech and are perfectly entitled to vocalize their concerns and doubts against any guru they choose.

Similarly, I think other's are perfectly entitled to their freedom of speech and are perfectly entitled to vocalize their concerns and doubts about the critics who want us to believe them and accept them as credible and intelligent voices of reason against gurus.

I consider my input here finished. I have had my say. Since "Cothsee" was allowed to post a link that I consider misleading, defamatory and attacking, I think it merited a response.

Date: June 30, 2009 10:54PM

test

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 10:56PM by corboy.

Posted by: shakti ()
Date: July 01, 2009 01:21AM

Rick, Cothsee is a serious cult apologist and internet stalker who probably shouldn't be on this board. The Amma people have launched an Internet "fair game" attack on her critics and Cothsee is part of it.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.