Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Zen and the Art of Organization? (Seung Sahn) Kwan Um School of Zen
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: April 25, 2009 09:17PM

One hopes it is "game over"... or nearly so.

I've been marveling at the BK thread view counts in this forum. The daily view counts are high. I think that says a lot.

Like Corboy said in the main BK thread, "Information is power".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kwan Um School of Zen, Stuart Resnick aka RandomStu
Date: May 06, 2009 08:45PM

I've just been notified of another web page featuring Stuart Resnick, aka RandomStu. It's from "Ode Magazine":

[[url=http://nl.odemagazine.com/people/RandomStu]People: RandomStu[/url]]

"A middle-aged guy in Berkeley CA, interested in exploring the mind through formal Zen practice, entheogens, or any means necessary. I blog about meditation teachers, groups, techniques, and whatever relates to the Big Questions of Life. With maybe some politics, gambling, and pop culture thrown in. Please visit me at xxx.

"I've got a mini-memoir about how I've come to Zen practice. It's called 'Autobiography of a Boo Boo'..."

Seung Sahn, Kwan Um School of Zen, Sex Scandal
Date: May 08, 2009 10:24PM

A look at the sex scandal of Seung Sahn in the book Turning The Wheel: American Women Creating The New Buddhism by Sandy Boucher (Boston: Beacon Press, 1993)...

Excerpts from pp. 225-230:

In most situations in which the teacher is having sexual relations with students, it is not the actions themselves that prove destructive, but the secrecy in which they are pursued. Students believe in their teacher and model themselves after him. A deep trust is established. When that is broken, much psychological harm is done. Also, the senior students usually know the affairs, keep the secret, and thus the hypocrisy spreads. Certainly the teacher's participation in secret affairs affects his ability to give guidance to his students, especially in the area of relationships.

Often the sexual liaisons are only part of a larger picture in which a hierarchical structure results in some students feeling taken advantage of, as their unpaid labor built the Zen center and their loyalty allowed their Zen master to enlarge his domain of influence and function in a dictatorial manner.

Two women who recently have looked critically at their teacher's behavior and the context in which it occurred are Sonia Alexander of the Cambridge Zen Center and Loie Rosenkrantz of Empty Gate Zen Center in Berkeley. These institutions are branches of the Kwan Um Zen School headed by Korean Zen Master Seung Sahn, called by his students Soen Sa Nim.

Sonia Alexander, a small blonde woman who radiates friendliness and amused intelligence, was a director of the Cambridge Zen Center, which occupies several row houses on a street behind Central Square. She lived there with her husband and worked outside as a medical photographer. Now she believes that she was simply being used in order to build Zen centers and establish Korean Zen practice in this country.

When I first spoke with Sonia in Cambridge, the news of Soen Sa Nim's intimate relationships with students had not yet come out. Sonia, who knew nothing of these affairs, spoke of the example of pristine conduct set by her teacher. By the time I spoke with her again, on the telephone from California, her life had changed drastically. This woman whose whole existence had been based in the Cambridge Zen Center had moved with her husband to a condominium in Jamaica Plain and severed all official ties with the Zen center after learning that her teacher, whom she had been led to believe was a celibate monk, had several long-term sexual affairs with women in Zen centers.

"When he was questioned on it," Sonia tells me on the phone, "he said he slept with the women because he needed someone in the Zen center he could trust. It wasn't love, it wasn't desire."

She and others were outraged at this news and began to take a hard look at the assumptions and procedures in their Zen center. They began to identify instances of questionable behavior that they had previously rationalized, and they saw the Zen center as a little world of its own, which functioned to exploit them and give them an unreal view of themselves.

"We bought into the 'mystery' of Zen," Sonia Alexander says. "And we created a closed community where we had status, where a lot of people are economically and morally tied in."

A woman more deeply disturbed about the dynamics within the organization founded by Soen Sa Nim is Loie Rosenkrantz, who was at one time director of the Empty Gate Zen Center in Berkeley and representative to the council that oversees all of the centers under Soen Sa Nim's direction. She speaks particularly of the method in which deception is perpetrated, and she points out that it is our giving up of power in these situations that allows them to continue.

"I was a participant in this community for a good eight years and had become one of the old-timers, and I never knew that Soen Sa Nim and the women in Providence had slept together for five years and subsequently that he and another woman who lived at Cambridge Zen Center had been lovers, and perhaps there have been some other women..."

When the information about Soen Sa Nim's intimate relationships reached Berkeley, Loie says, people responded with shock, confusion, and anger--and some relief in finding out that Soen Sa Nim was "not so perfect."

Her eyes are wide with outrage as she tells me about the letters to a friend of hers in which her teacher explained his actions.

"He said that he slept with this woman because she could be the core of the then Providence Zen Center and that sleeping with him helped make her strong." She adds ironically, "It took five years to make her strong! And he said the same thing about the woman at Cambridge Zen Center: that the Zen center was floundering, and by making her strong, it made the Zen center strong, and therefore he acted for the benefit of all the people. And he believes it!"
Loie further says:

"If you live in these communities for years, it's not just how you feel about your teacher, it's your home, it's all your friends, it's where you're raising your kids--do you have enough independence in your own life to move, give up your job, your community? It's like you give up everything! So a lot of these people are too attached. Or they haven't really gotten the information how serious it is. Because it's very serious. It's fascistic. And Soen Sa Nim is a dictator!"

"Isn't fascist too strong a word to apply here?" I [Sandy Boucher] object.

She shakes her head. "Let me clarify for you what I mean by that. Basically it describes a situation where there's an inherent lack of democracy, where power comes from the top down, where decisions are often made in secret without a genuine process of consultation with the group as a whole."

And she goes on, "The lack of democracy can express itself in many ways; its essence is control which tends to be oppressive and dictatorial, in which the group's thoughts and actions represent or are heavily influenced by the will of the leader or in this case the 'enlightened master'."

Many people have left the Cambridge Zen Center and the Empty Gate Zen Center, Loie tells me, and many of the old-timers from the Providence Center have moved to Cambridge or Providence proper, so that these centers are now peopled with newcomers. Many of the new people coming in don't know about the teacher's sexual behavior.

"One of the biggest issues for me is if people don't know what's going on, then you're abusing their ability to make decisions for themselves. So people are thinking once again the Soen Sa Nim is celibate, when he's not. If he really believed in himself and what he was doing, he could say, 'Well, I dress as a celibate monk, but what I really am is single, which means that I'm not married and I don't have attached relationships.' So someone can ask, 'Well, is five years' continuous relationship with somebody not attached? What do you mean by attached? Why is it okay for you to do this, and why do you still wear the robes of a celibate monk?'"

Loie herself is no longer a Dharma teacher and no longer lives at the Empty Gate Zen Center. She has sent back her robes and bowl with a statement of withdrawal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 10:32PM by helpme2times.

Posted by: Jay Cruise ()
Date: May 09, 2009 02:23AM

Great post Helpme. What a sleazebag. How Zen?

Kwan Um School of Zen, Seung Sahn was a fraud and hypocrite,
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: May 09, 2009 03:11AM

yes, very important information.

One of the people is from Empty Gate Zen Center, which is the same center as ole RandomStu Stuart Resnick.
Stuart Resnick appears to have joined Empty Gate Zen Center in about 1988, and this book came out in 1993, so he knows all about it.
The sex scandals of Seung Sahn first started coming out publically in about 1988.
Why would anyone JOIN a group right at the time the sex scandals are becoming public, and most people are leaving the group?

How soon did Seung Sahn's sexual abuses with his students start?
After all, he only started teaching in the mid-70's, and Kwan Um School of Zen was only founded in 1983.
Was their sexual activity from the beginning?

In these groups, often when the scandals breakout, then most of the people leave. But who are the people who stay? Those who run apologetics for the disgraced Guru, like Seung Sahn, and continue with the cover-ups, minimization, and deflection.

The reality is that Seung Sahn was simply a fraud, a power-abuser, who ran his Org in a fascistic manner, with all the power at the top with him.
And he abused that power in many ways, including sexual abuses.
Seung Sahn used many harsh techniques, even using some of the classic "brainwashing" techniques that were used in the Korean War in the 1950's. Seung Sahn was involved in the various military conflicts in Korea, starting from 1944-1957, and he certainly would have picked up those techniques being used in that area at that time.

What about the money from Kwan Um School of Zen?
How much money was made, and where did it go?
Who got control of all the money and assets from Kwan Um School of Zen, after Seung Sahn died?

Date: May 09, 2009 04:43AM

I agree, the information on Seung Sahn's sex scandal from the book Turning The Wheel is important.

Related to this... I've found a series of articles re problems with Zen by Stuart Lachs.

[[url=http://www.terebess.hu/english/lachs.html]Stuart Lachs - American Zen[/url]]

In an introduction to the articles, Lachs says:

I have been a Zen practitioner for roughly forty years. Many years ago I became interested in viewing Zen from a scholarly point of view as a way to explain the great disparity I witnessed between how the Zen institution claimed its leaders behaved and what I saw first hand. I was driven to understand what was happening and why, not out of a dry, academic interest, but rather, by the confusion, trouble and suffering that I and others were experiencing.

By luck, in the early 1990's, I met an academically-minded monk connected with Chinese Buddhism. From him, I was introduced to an academic view of the history of Zen that strongly contrasted with the more familiar history promulgated by the Zen institution. Needless to say, it was an eye opener that led to many exciting hours of study up to this day. Later, through a friend, I became interested in the sociology of religion and of institutions.

Looking at Zen through both the lens of academic history and the lens of the sociology of religion and institutions, I hope to show how Zen developed over time, and how it responded to historical settings and necessities. I will show how the institution that has grown up around Zen functions - as do most institutions - to promote and protect itself, and how it empowers its leaders and enables that power to function.

I am attempting to make clear for myself and other Zen practitioners what is happening at Zen centers in America. I have found some conceptual tools that helped me analyze how these Zen centers operate. These tools were especially helpful in understanding how the conceptions of Dharma transmission and unbroken lineage and their supporting structures impact Zen students' lives at their Centers.

Critical thinking is Buddhist and Buddhism is critical thinking. By demanding tough answers and not being satisfied with easy ones, I hope to improve the situation of Zen in America which, since the mid-1960's, has suffered from repeated scandals - scandals that hurt its practitioners, caused others to leave and marred its reputation for years to come.

Buddhism has a history of adaptability to many cultures. No doubt, it will adapt to the West. We have an opportunity, by understanding the institutions and history of Zen, to claim its true spirit and inherent freedom for our lives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 04:44AM by helpme2times.

Re: Seung Sahn, Kwan Um School of Zen, Stuart Resnick
Date: May 15, 2009 12:43AM

A cross-post re Stuart Resnick:

[[url=http://forum.culteducation.com/read.php?12,12906,71919#msg-71919]http://forum.culteducation.com/read.php?12,12906,71919#msg-71919[/url]]

Re: Zen and the Art of Organization? (Seung Sahn) Kwan Um School of Ze
Posted by: quackdave ()
Date: May 15, 2009 11:16PM

The Anticult
Why would anyone JOIN a group right at the time the sex scandals are becoming public, and most people are leaving the group?

I have an idea: Maybe ol' Stewie is putting his 'boo-boo' where it doesn't belong, like his master. It's only my guess, of course; it could be way more sickening than that.

qd

Re: Zen and the Art of Organization? (Seung Sahn) Kwan Um School of Ze
Date: May 16, 2009 06:56AM

quackdave
The Anticult
I have an idea: Maybe ol' Stewie is putting his 'boo-boo' where it doesn't belong, like his master. It's only my guess, of course; it could be way more sickening than that.
qd
Jeez Louise, I was pondering something similar earlier today. *shivers*

Re: Seung Sahn, Kwan Um School of Zen, Sexual Abuse
Date: May 23, 2009 02:50AM

In a recent Guruphiliac blog entry, "What Enlightenment" Reignites, someone took Stuart Resnick, aka RandomStu, to task for some of his online behavior.

Jody/Guruphiliac defended Stu, saying, "To be honest, I find these criticisms of Stuart totally lame. The only reason I'm posting them is because it provides Stuart more contrast from which to make his points."

I've discovered that someone has added a comment with helpful information on sexual abuse by spiritual teachers:

If I may add to your insight, I offer the following for reader consideration and possible reading:

Declaration of Reverned Pamela Cooper-White:
called as an expert witness in the matter of Bertolucci vs. Ananda

http://www.anandainfo.com/cooper-white.html

Two books:

Pamela Cooper-White, the author of the book:
"The Cry of Tamar: Violence Against Women and the Church's Response", published in 1995

Peter Rutter, M.D., psychiastrist on the faculty of University of California, San Francisco Medical School, and the author of "Sex in the Forbidden Zone" (published by Tarcher, 1990)

I also highly suggest visiting the website of Joan Radha Bridges, former member of Siddha Yoga, and sexually assualted by Swami Muktananda. Ms. Bridges has brought together different survivors of sexual assault, of differeent groups.

Ms. Bridges is in the process of publishing and releasing a video.

http://www.shadowoftheguru.com

I highly applaud Ms. Bridges.

As a footnote:
There are those who were sexually assualted by family members in their formative years. They have been noted to go on to give an affirmation to future sexual assualt(s) by spiritual fathers (and/or high ranking members of groups). The transference of imprinting/natal experience to another source beyond DNA family, is a subject of deep study and consideration.

Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.