School of Practical Philosophy - New York City - 79th St & Madison
Posted by: mcwinslow ()
Date: July 01, 2009 04:15AM

Most of the posts do not talk much about the New York City School so I'm here to post some information and am willing to answer any questions regarding the school. I am not an authority nor do I represent anyone at the school. These are my opinions and observations no one elses.

I wanted to post because I've been attending the school for about 4 years and some things I've read on the net are true about the school and some are not.

Is the school a cult? I don't think so however I'm always doing research and looking for signs while I attend the school.

Are there things I don't like about the school? Sure.

However I take the attitude "take what you like and leave the rest".

Some of the ideas they present are dated and may not be relevant today however again from the first class they say try these ideas out and see what works for you. If after trying it you don't agree or it has no relevance to your life then forget it.

For example a simple tool was "what would a wise man/woman do here?" so when you have a decision to make and feel indecisive Plato suggests to fall still and ask what would a wise man or woman do here? Plato said the wisdom is already there one just needs to make themselves available to it. I've tried it and it was helpful at times.

I've skipped terms and no one called me or tracked me down and asked why.

I'd love to start a discussion about this if anyone is interested.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: School of Practical Philosophy - New York City - 79th St & Madison
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 06, 2009 10:25PM

Information about this same group in Ireland--they go by a slightly different name.

Several articles--read'em.

[dialogueireland.wordpress.com]

Earlier articles about this group (known in the UK as School of Economic Science and in the US as School of Practical Philosophy)

[forum.culteducation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2009 10:29PM by corboy.

Re: School of Practical Philosophy - New York City - 79th St & Madison
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 06, 2009 10:35PM

This may not have taken place in New York City, but this post by Leo2
on June 10, 2009 01:12PMis as follows:

[forum.culteducation.com]

I remember people were really pushed around, marriages were wrecked, careers and jobs were belittled, in the cause of the Great Maclaren's controlling excesses. At least one person died. People with medical conditions were taken off their medicines, and I was forced to try and take notes for classes even though I was deaf. I went to see Mr MacLaren once at a long weekend retreat, about a condition I had, and he was cold and indifferent. He was very crushing to a lovely intelligent older woman I knew, and told this nice refined woman that dogs always return to their vomit. How did they get together and agree to this disintegration of people's lives. Is it just a power thing ? It was cruel. I left after seven years, an engagement was broken, and I lost my steadiness, never very good. In my case chilhood disturbances made me a vulnerable person, but many people in the School were pretty normal, so I felt. Many years later, a friend recalled how Leon MacLaren had foamed at the mouth in one of his last lectures, scarey, it seems he was schizophrenic or psychotic by then. I was glad or relieved somehow to know he had died.
There was a split in the School into two groups, one following Dr Roles more liberal style, and the other more in your face.

The post by Corboy has set the structure out well. A shock to see that children have been abused, hard to take in. I hope the abusers have been punished.

For myself I have come to the conclusion that I could not print in a post about such people.
Meanwhile children should have protection

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.